Ch 21: Grinder

Darcy’s POV

The first course was a salad with some kind of creamy dressing that tasted like ranch and blue cheese squashed together. The second course was steak and a vegetable during which Abigail only ate the vegetable and reminded everyone of the horrors of the meat industry. During that time Cade’s father who’s name I still hadn’t learned rolled his eyes at least seven times that I counted which actually beats out my record of five in one conversation.

For desert Ms. Lilith brought out cake and as I grabbed the first slice I once again got the side eye from Cade’s dad which was beginning to get on my nerves. He kept staring at my hair like I was some kind of alien which I was starting to feel like I was. I suddenly realized why everyone else in the neighborhood had an excuse for not coming tonight. I also highly doubted Cade’s dad would have showed up if it wasn’t for the chance it gave him to campaign. He was speaking about the dangers of jaywalkers in the city with my mother and how they should be fine more and I could see her fake smile fading after about ten minutes of the same talk over and over.

“You know what else I’ve been seeing a lot of homeless hanging out around town lately they’re dangerous all of them almost robbed my wife once. Back me up on this one Marion.” He said.

“It was a misunderstanding I dropped my purse and when he returned it my cash was missing it doesn’t mean he stole it dear.” Cade’s mom said grabbing another slice of cake.

“Please they’re all no good, mentally ill or both.” He said scoffing.  “Especially those ones that hang out by the gas station absolute retards I’ll tell you always panhandling!”

My fork clattered to my plate loudly and he stopped talking. I hadn’t meant to have everyone look at me but since I had their attention I might as well put it to good use.  I finally had enough of his nonsense the entire night and stepped in. My mom was giving me a look but I continued to open my mouth anyways.

“You’re right sir most of the homeless population is mentally ill and you know what that’s not a bad thing. Do you want to know what the bad thing is sir?”

He just stared at me with wide eyes and I continued not giving him a chance to answer me.

“People who are uneducated about mental illness and treat it like some kind of nuisance or made up disease, in fact the majority of mentally ill people are not dangerous. You’re actually probably more likely to get mugged by some guy on the street then a homeless person did you know that? Not to mention the majority of mentally ill homeless people don’t have access to the medicine they need. Tell me as mayor what would you do for them sir? Other than continue to treat them like a fly in your morning coffee.”

 I stabbed my last bite of cake stuffing it in my mouth as everyone went silent. All I could hear was my loud fierce chewing.  I could see Cade’s father opening and closing his mouth trying to come up with a response while Cade was hiding a smirk behind his napkin. Suddenly from beside me Danielle tugged my dress and whispered in my ear “that was cool” she whispered giggling.

My mom was staring at me with wide eyes and I didn’t know if she was proud or incredibly embarrassed at my lack of self-control. From the corner of my eye I could see Ms. Lilith smiling before she excused herself to the kitchen with the dirty plates. Suddenly Cade’s dad shot up from his chair “I think it’s time for us to go home Danielle has a bed time after all.”

Danielle moved back towards her parents as Cade’s dad looked to him. “I’ll stay and walk home later.” His father looked like he was ready to say no but looked at his surroundings and changed him mind. He walked towards the door snatching his coat from the chair he was earlier occupying and left without another word his wife sadly trailing right behind him. As soon as the door closed Abigail moved out of her chair and walked over to me.