Ch: 24 Even Strength

Darcy’s POV

I had arrived for another useless practice on a foggy Saturday morning. I was lucky I had been able to drag myself out of bed after what’s been happening for the past week. I must be losing my mind because when Cade called me this morning (I finally gave him my number after Ms. Lilith got tired of playing messenger and told me to act my age) I actually walked to the studio. Anyone who knows me knows I don’t walk so it was a big step for me metaphorically and physically.

I walked through the snow my boots crunching it under my feet up to the gravel drive that led to the studio. Point blank in front of the door was a large red sign that read Private Property Do Not Enter! I wanted to rip the sign off and throw it into the trash but I refrained, getting arrested myself was the last thing I needed although I could check on Harvey if I was. He couldn’t make more than his one call and Ms. Lilith was having no luck finding a place that could help. She thought if we found a rehab center that deals with prisoners they could work out a deal and transfer him there, but the thought of Harvey locked up in a government mandated facility made me cringe. It wasn’t where he belonged.

The beep of a horn took me back to reality as I turned around to find the source of the noise. Across the street was Cade sitting in the back of his pickup waving me over from the gas station parking lot. Of course he wouldn’t take the chance and trespass into his father’s building, what made me think he would? I took one last look at my second home that I was no longer allowed to step foot in and I could’ve cried. A building with so many memories shouldn’t be left to rot alone, or be turned into a fancy shining new building. New wood floors wouldn’t creek under me when I moved like the ones now did, and a fresh coat of paint wouldn’t cover up the markings from the old ballet bar in the corner.

I walked over the threshold of caution tape and grabbed the first piece of glass from the broken window I could find in the snow. I slipped into my pocket; if this didn’t work at least I would still have a piece of this place with me forever. I grabbed another piece for Cade too and another two for Ms. Lilith and Harvey. I turned back around and quickly slid under the tape and across the desolate road to the gas station which was missing something without Harvey and his cloud of smoke around it. Cade was still sitting in the back of his truck when he saw me come forward and he maneuvered himself to be able to flip the back down without having to fully get up. He held out his hand but I ignored it hoisting myself onto the bed of the truck with the heel of my boot and my hands.

I plopped down next to him and grabbed at the bag he was fiddling with. “Bugles and donut holes?” I said laughing. “Isn’t that against some kind of jock diet?”

“It’s called stress eating.” He said stuffing his face with bugles.

I grabbed some out of his outstretched hand and settled myself, leaning on the back of the truck’s window my breath showing in the cold Colorado air. I crunched the bugles in my hand and threw them into my mouth staring at the sky.

“You think will figure this all out?” Cade said swallowing a donut hole.

“Doubt it, I can barely even think about it without getting a giant headache.”

“I might be able to solve one of the many problems on your list.”

“Spill it.” I said turning to him.

“Finn’s inside there working, you want the full story go talk to him, but actually let him talk.”

“Did you set this up.” I said looking around.

“No just worked out that way.” He said grinning

Of course it did I thought to myself. I went to hop off the side of the truck when the doorbell above the station store rang through the air.