Chapter 83

I literally had to read all the way back to chapter 68 to remember what my plans for this story was lol it's been so long

If you like this story, leave a star and comment! More love = more chapters!

~*Ω*~

She scoffed with a smirk and looked down at the ground. "You're so weird, Lukas."

The mentioned male chuckled. "Sorry. It's just... ever since the Storm, I've learned to get over my fears and say what's on my mind. I won't know the next time I'll be able to say those kinds of things. What I went through by myself wasn't what you went through - not even close - but I learned a lot, too."

"Don't put yourself down like that. Everyone has their own struggles and receptiveness to those problems. You put friends and family first, Lukas. That's why it was more difficult for you."

"Thanks, therapist Jess."

The two of them laughed lightly. Jess stood up and patted her butt to get any dust off and checked her phone. "I should probably go now. Need to finish work and then get back to training. By the way, my aunt extended the invitation to you."

"To do what?"

"To train. She said something along the lines of getting all of us together to train to properly prepare us for something like this next time."

"You guys have been doing training? Since when?"

"Since my brother and I got better. It's been only us two so far since we need it more but she plans on having all of us do it by next month. So, if you want to, you can."

Lukas crookedly smiled and ran his hand through his hair. "Well, since you're saying it, then sure."

"I must warn you, it isn't your everyday training session. There's... a lot of pain involved. And not just physical. It's one of the reasons I look so tired - I just didn't tell you that earlier. To be honest, I'm scared of going back every day."

"Is it really that bad? What happens during these sessions?"

Jess exhaled and tried to collect her thoughts. "The basics, of course. Stretching, working out, all that stuff. Then there are mental exercises like meditation. That's a simpler exercise, though. We've been doing pretend stressful situations, such as preparing for a shooter or holding our breath underwater while attempting to solve a puzzle before a bomb explodes."

"That's... really intense! Your aunt is giving you this kind of training? Training meant for adults?"

"Yeah. She didn't want us to have to go through anything like that again. We've already grown up whether we want to or not and so we're being prepared as such. It's been really tough. Especially those water exercises... I always feel like I'm trapped in the Storm again and end up getting panic attacks and flashbacks."

"Why don't you quit? I wouldn't think this kind of training is healthy for you."

"I agreed to it. I'm scared of another Storm-like event happening and I want to be ready for next time. I have to push through. Eventually, I'll make amends with my fears and triggers. Besides, my brother is going through his own trouble while we train. He says he's completely healed but I can tell he's hurting a lot from his injuries. I'm in it with him and I'll be okay as long as we're together. That's always been our thing." Jess smiled to herself as she thought about Jay. "Okay, I really have to go now. Don't want to be late. See y—"

"Jess." Lukas suddenly grabbed her wrist and she turned around, puzzled. "I'll come with. I want to be ready, too. I can't mess up again."

She shook her head, lightly laughing. "We're all like that, Lukas. Anyways, are you sure? You don't have anything to do?"