Chapter 75

If you like this story, leave a star and comment! More love = more chapters!

~*Ω*~

Another month went by. The date now was November 7th, 2016. Despite the chaos of daily life that the Witherstorm had sent Southern California into, people flocked to working vote centers to camp out for Election Day, wanting to change their broken lives by choosing their new leader. The twins watched as people of all ages scrambled out, smirking as they looked out the window.

"I didn't even know Election Day was tomorrow," Jesse said, resting his head on his arm. "It's already been a couple of months, huh?"

"Yeah," said the sister, flipping through her novel. "Well, more like a month for me, but I wasn't awake so it doesn't count."

"By the way, how's your hand?"

Jess stopped reading her book and glanced down at her right hand, shining in the sunlight. It had been difficult turning pages with the metal fingers and so she resorted to just holding the book with it. "I think I'm more used to it now. Sometimes, I still can't turn it properly, though. I'll try to reach for something on the ground and it'll jam."

"Should probably get that checked out. Anyways, you wanna go eat something? Cafeteria apparently got new shipments yesterday."

"Yeah, sure."

The two left the room, making their way downstairs to the main area where the others were already waiting. Olivia noticed the siblings and waved. "Hey, guys! Over here!"

The Jesses caught up with their friends, turning to see Axel, Magnus, and Ellegaard as well, greeting them with a cheery "Good morning!" Magnus grinned and slapped Jesse's back, causing the boy to cough in surprise. "Heya, shortstacks." Apparently, the nickname for them had stuck around. "You guys took long enough."

"Have you guys looked outside?" Jess laughed. "The hallways were filled with people rushing out. Couldn't even leave the room, and we're stationed at the very top where there are fewer people!"

"Pfft, I don't get why voting for presidents or whatever is such a big deal," Magnus scoffed and shrugged, leaning on the wall. "Buncha' baloney. Why don't we just all fight to the death like in Boomtown?"

"Your 'town' isn't even listed as a real place," added Ellegaard, rolling her eyes. "Plus, if the government ever visited, it would be shut down in seconds."

"Ah, come on, Ellie! Always ruining the fun."

Axel and Olivia laughed. "Anyways, Gabriel will be joining us in a bit. Petra has one more test she needs to do but then she'll be free by noon."

"Alright!" Jesse began to walk past the group. "Let's go eat something then! I wonder if they have spaghetti..."

Jess leaned in to whisper to Axel and Olivia. "He's been craving spaghetti ever since we got here. I told him to just ask our dad to make some but he said that Dad puts too much onion."

"Can't he just... take out the onion?" Olivia snorted as she said the question.

"Remember, you're looking at the guy who has trouble opening a Poptart wrapper."

~*Ω*~

The six of them sat at a circular table, each setting their tray down and readying their utensils. It had been so long since they had "real" food, surviving on mainly canned foods and crackers. The best-preserved meal they had were instant noodles but those weren't served too often.

Axel drooled as he overlooked his spread, a hearty tray of eggs, bacon, bread, and orange juice, a classic American breakfast that none of them had seen in a long time. "Only now have I realized how much I've taken this food for granted," said the large male, immediately digging in.