Chapter 18

A few minutes later, Jesse opened the door to a Lukas staring him in the face and a tired-looking Jess who seemed like she'd been crying.

He sighed himself. "Jess, I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have treated you like that. I would have done the same in your position."

She simply wrapped her arms around her brother. "It's okay, Jay. I should've let someone know."

Lukas awkwardly stood in the doorway and watched. "So... I guess I'll go now. Sorry about that." He started to walk out when Jesse grabbed the back of his jacket and pulled him back.

"Wait, dude, come inside. Get a drink or something at least."

Lukas blinked at him. "Why? I'm not sure your aunt would appreciate me in here."

"She's asleep. And besides, it's still dark out and I want to thank you for driving Jess home."

"He doesn't have to if he doesn't want to," commented Jess, who made a face. "Lukas is just really nice. He's like a mockingbird."

"Are you referencing To Kill a Mockingbird?" laughed Lukas.

"Maybe," she smiled.

Despite his excuses, Jesse managed to bring Lukas inside and they sat in the living room, taking small glimpses of each other.

"So," started Jesse as he sipped from his cup of milk, "this rain isn't going to let up anytime soon, huh?"

"Doesn't seem like it," said Jess from her corner of the sofa. "It's been sprinkling since I woke up."

"Hopefully it'll be gone by noon. I have to go somewhere and I don't wanna be wet."

"Where ya goin'?" inquired Jesse.

"Oh, not really any place important. My dad just wants me to help him with his work."

"What does your dad do?" perked up Jess.

"He's a producer."

"What... kind of producer?"

"Music."

The twins glanced at each other from the corner of their eyes and back at Lukas. "What's his company label?"

"Uh, I think it's Bedrock Productions."

"Bedrock?!" they shouted as loud as they could without waking Aunt Carrie. "Bedrock is the label for all the popular people!"

Lukas shrugged. "I never really pay attention to that kinda stuff."

"But you have- like- I don't know- this is such a big opportunity!" Jess flailed. "You could be touring around the world  and playing in places like Disneyland!"

"It's not that big of a deal. My dad's more of a background person when it comes to the producing there. Let's forget about me. What about your parents?"

They shrugged. "Our mom is a clothing designer and producer," began Jess. "Our dad is a CNC machinist, so he always brings home a bunch of stuff he created from metal," continued Jesse.

Lukas opened his mouth to say something but then his phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out. His face contorted into a worried disposition and he stood up. "Excuse me for a second."

He went to the dining room to talk on the phone and left the Jesses in the living room.

"You think he's okay?" Jess whispered. Jesse shook his head.

Tiptoeing, they carefully snuck to the countertop, hiding behind it. They could feel their ears hurting from the strain.

"I can't!" Lukas whisper-shouted. "I'm not ruining my chances."