(5): red lights,stop signs.

[song for chapter: Cardigan-Taylor Swift]
October 15th 2044
Yumi's POV:
vintage tee,brand new phone.
high heels on cobblestones.
this is me,sitting on the concrete awaiting for Emma & Ezra to pick me up.
once again me & the gang are off to another misadventure,but this time we're heading to sleepy hallow.
It's chilly now after the rain's stopped,it was nearly a week of rain & this is the break we all needed.
however due to frost developing over our area,school has been cancelled until next week.
it's all precautions of course,because where there's frost.
There's snow.
Welcome to New York.
my smile is filled with sequins as I show off my pearly whites as I read a interesting chapter in the book I'm holding in my hand.
my lips painted black while I'm wearing a brown cardigan I've owned for years.
my jeans black to match my lips,I like to make bold makeup choices & today I felt like wearing black.
my timberlands brown,so my entire outfit matched itself.
I push loose strands of hair out of my face.
I adjust my eyeglasses,I'm unapologetic today.
I'm not wearing my medicated contacts,it all came to me last night.
I realized I didn't wanna fit in...ever,so I wanna wear what I want.
be who I want & live like that.
this time I'm not solo however,a tugging on my arm reminds me of my tag-a-long buddy.
"Oh dearest Umi.." I hear a familiar voice next to me.
I look over to see my younger yet sometimes annoying little sister Luna.
who's turning 14 next week.
lucky her indeed.
so me being a good sister & also my mother suggesting it,I brought her along to have some fun before her birthday starts.
However her outfit she picked is not bueno for this weather.
She shivers and I huddle close to her to warm her up.
"You're so sweet,you act all mean to everyone but you're-"
I look at her intensely.
"Never mind" she says giggling
"Geez..!" She adds laughing harder now because of my expression.
"Don't make me regret bringing you" I say and she nods.
"I promise I won't embarrass you" she says.
"I'm sure" I say sarcastically and roll my eyes playfully.
I grab her hand when I see Emma's car pull up,at first Luna hesitates since she's used to being with our parents and Daemin.
now she's getting a car that's filled with Kyle,Melody,Malakai,Emma & Ezra.
all of the "big kids" basically,I push her into the car and we drive off..
-
we arrive at Sleepy Hallow.
But we stop by the local public park but I blindfolded Luna in the car so of course right now she's freaking out but I keep reassuring her that nothing is happening.
we get her out of the car after Kyle & Melody finished setting up a small picnic site.
despite the frost that's in the air,we do all this for her.
we rather get hypothermia than to have her birthday weekend go by without her celebrating early.
I lead her to the site,I smile big seeing everything and the fact melody remembered all the food Luna likes.
I take off the blindfold and she clings onto me but her eyes are shut.
I tap her arm lightly.
"Open your eyes silly" I say and she opens them to see the sight in front of her.
All of us crowded around her.
Melody holding a small cake that has "Happy B-Day Luna!" in bold red words that's made of buttercream.
Kyle lights the candles,fourteen to be exact.
he adds a 15th candle for good luck & we start singing "happy birthday" to her.
she smiles big with tears forming in her eyes,I don't know if it's because she embarrassed herself thinking we kidnapped her and were about to do something bad.
or the fact she's so moved by all of this.
I get my answer when she suddenly hugs me & mutters out a small "I love you guys" in the midst of it.
I giggle and rub her back.
"Cmon birthday girl look at me" I say and she looks at me.
"Aish! Your eyeliner is smudging after you spent nearly a hour on it!" I say fixing her up & wiping her tears.
"No tears okay? We wanted to do this" I say and she holds my hand.
She blows out her candles and we start cutting cake.
She grabs my hand to pull me away from the picnic area.
"I wanna drop out of softball." She blurts out looking at the floor.
"Wait huh?" We all say hearing her.
"I'm stressed all the time,coach overworks me because she knows I'm the best. She belittles the others and myself included,she even talks down to mom. Mom eats her words and deals with it silently...I hate the team because the girls don't like me. I hate the sport because it's tiring...may I say anymore?" She explains
"No no that's enough,I wonder how mom-" I start and the rest continue cutting cake.
"Mom will be so overjoyed! She's been dying for this day to come,I sadly pushed her into this thinking I would love it. But it's not even fun anymore." She says finishing my sentence.
"As long you wanna leave on your own terms it's okay with me." I say and she smiles.
"I was so worried you would-"
"You're talking to someone who was shoved into the swim team for 2 years." I say remembering the terrifying memories of that.
"At least you're learned to swim,dad said it was good for you" she says and I shake my head laughing.
Sure,it was worth me almost drowning everyday in the training pool.
Very worth it.
-
[a little while later]
we get back in the car so we can depart from sleepy hallow after doing a few activities like visiting a haunted house which Luna was unimpressed since she's the horror fan of our family.
she claims it was a scam pulled by the homeowners,I say I got some good scares out of it.
So it ain't a scam to me.
We drank hot apple cider & enjoyed the crisp fall air as the weather signaled night was coming.
Which meant the snow we were all waiting for was arriving soon.
Kyle takes over to drive Emma's car after Ezra drank spiked Apple Cider from one of the townspeople which the cider was laced with Rum.
He slurs speaking to Kyle as he's in the passenger rest while we all sit in the back with Malakai.
Who's now asleep on Melody.
"I always wonder who's the older twin here?" She says rolling her eyes after shoving his head off of her lap.
He groans in his deep sleep and returns to his spot on her leg.
to her dismay but she allows him after a few attempts of getting him away yo completely south.
We reach a red light which we all let out a sigh since the traffic flow is heavy as it is.
Kyle stops to get gas since Emma forgot to fuel up,as we wait in the car I see a shiny black Cadillac pull up.
I recognize that car,I duck down when I see Mingyu step out of the car dressed up in a heavy padded coat which must have layers underneath given the temperature outside.
19'F is what the car reads.
In my head I'm cursing him out,calling the most worst names.
"What a idiot why is he even here" I mutter under my breath.
"Oh hi Kyle-"
"Gotta run Gyu snow's coming" Kyle says.
"Gyu" is what all the guys call him,I'm the only girl he knows besides his sisters Melody & Mila.
that calls him "Mingi" which is his actual nickname.
"Is Umi with you guys?" I hear Mingyu ask and I mutter a low "creepy mode" under my breath.
Which he must've heard because he's half bat apparently.
"Oh hello there Umi " he says peeking his head into the car seeing me hiding behind Melody & Emma.
I surrender and look at him.
"You've been avoiding my calls,texts and even my offers to pick you up. Just because you have a boyfriend doesn't mean I'm not ur best friend anymore right?" He asks me.
"I mean a so called best friend wouldn't worry like this" I blurt out without thinking.
"Oh that's how it is now" he says
"Mingi-"
"Have a nice ride back home everyone" he says leaving.
I open the car door and step out to feel the freezing air hit me.
I just got over a cold but damnit I'll catch another if I have to make my point today.
"Mingyu Choi!" I scream at him and he looks back at me.
"You're driving me crazy!" I say
He looks at me and signals me as if to continue talking because he wants to hear further of this.
"I see your calls,texts and all of the things you send me. but I don't face you for one second and you lose it? Are you going mental?-"
"Mental? Yeah I mean my childhood best friend is dating a fuckboy so remind me why shouldn't I be worried or go mental especially when you're too young to understand what's happening" he says getting close to me.
"I'm not a damsel you can rescue Mingi,I might be young but my mother raised me better than to be a fool like you think I am. I'm not KellyAnn!" I say and he looks at me intensely.
"She's nothing like you!" He says
"That's probably why you like her better than me!" I yell back and silence forms between us both.
did I really say that?
was that too much?
I accept defeat and walk off.
"Umi...wait-"
"Don't talk to me!" I let out and he yells out.
"Yumi Jeon." which makes me freeze in my steps.
"Listen to me,I worry because I know how he is,I don't think you're a fool or a damsel. I just wanna protect yo-"
"I don't need protecting Mingi! I'm too tough for that." I say and he shakes his head.
"You don't understand and that is what worries me" he says and I couldn't help but walk away.
Because the words I would've let out,would've revealed what I'm hiding all along.
I'm in love with him and he's the fool not to notice.
I get in the car and we drive off leaving him in the now empty gas station as snowflakes start to fly down.
I mess with my cardigan in the car,I avoid everyone's eyes and just look out the window.
I secretly wait for the day to end so I can forget all about this.
-
[ to be continued...]
-
Hello babies! It's Reina here!
I wanna thank you guys for supporting my "7 men and a baby series" so much that the first book is nearing 50k+ reads & now we are on our THIRD book!
this chapter is revolving once again on the trails and tribulations of Yumi's relationship with Mingyu as both become aware of their mutual feelings for each other but can't express it properly.
Leading to tension,Zaire isn't home yet so he's absent from this chapter.
Melody & Kyle are still getting close,Emma & Ezra are still a item.
Luna decides to make the bold & best decision of dropping out of softball after emotional abuse from the coach and the team.
so much more drama and juicy stuff is on it's way.
we just started!
I love you guys so much,thank you for supporting my writing dreams and I can't wait to see what the future holds for us✨💗💕
Peace & Love Always!
- REINA✨🧿👑🦋✨