Mrs Sherlock Holmes (1)

Start from the beginning

"Sir, please control your wife."
That was addressed to Flynn, whose eyes darted to Lucy. He'd never seen such an awkward expression on the poor man's face, although there was definitely a smug glint hidden in his eye when he stepped in and, copying Lucy, asked coolly, "Excuse me, Officer, what happened with President Wilson?"

"The President is safe. There's no more information at this time."

It was very little relief, and Lucy, thinking the same, stopped a small bespectacled reporter in his tracks. "Excuse me, do you work for the Times?"

"The Post," he corrected her, which seemed to be a disappointment.

"Who did they shoot?"

"Senator Wadsworth. Bullet to the head. They already arrested some militant suffragette - Alice Paul."
With that bombshell, the reporter bustled away again.

"Who's Alice Paul?" Rufus frowned after him.

"Only one of the most influential women in American history!"

"More than Beyoncé?"

He almost felt bad for saying it when Lucy gave a long-suffering sigh and launched into an explanation for the benefit of her clueless companions.
"She led the suffragette movement, ultimately getting women the right to vote. I mean, every step forward can be traced back to her."

"So Alice Paul killed Senator Wadsworth?"

"No, Alice doesn't... Didn't kill anyone. She led the National Women's Party for the next fifty years!"

Flynn frowned. "So the sleeper must've killed Wadsworth. Is he important?"

"Well, to his family, yes, but to history, not really... But Alice is. When President Wilson arrives at the Hotel today, Alice gives a speech changing his mind to support the Nineteenth Amendment. If Alice doesn't give that speech today, there's no telling when women will get the right to vote."

Well that didn't sound so good.

"Okay, so we get Alice out of jail," Wyatt said, hand already on his gun like that would help at all. Flynn nodded.

"I'm gonna head out and find the sleeper."

"Easy, tiger, you're here for backup, that's it."

Flynn swivelled to look at him incredulously.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize since you were so busy taking off your personal days."

If Lucy hadn't glared at both of them, shutting them up, that might've turned into a full-on cat fight. Rufus was a tiny bit disappointed it hadn't. "Guys? Hello? Alice - the speech? Today?"

"Alright," Wyatt huffed, "Lucy and I will get Alice out of jail. Rufus, you and Flynn find the sleeper. Is everybody happy?"

"Uh... Not particularly?" Rufus said to the impervious brick wall that was Wyatt already speeding off.

"Meet us at the march," was all Lucy got in before Wyatt yanked her away.

Alone together now, Rufus blinked awkwardly up at Flynn.

Flynn blinked awkwardly down at Rufus.

Then Flynn shrugged.

"I promise not to kill you on this trip?"

He watched him. Cleared his throat when he didn't answer.

"Feeling better?"

Rufus considered. "Actually, I do. Cause you're not gonna kill me on this trip."