Arc 1.12

The maze was actually much larger than most thought it'd be. It expands across many miles and has an abundance of obstacles obstructing those unlucky enough to get caught in them.

There's also a burden on one's mental state if they stay in there for too long as they'll start to feel trapped. Those who are enclosed inside these walls will never know which is the "right" way to go, and there are always hidden dangers lurking beneath the surface, waiting for the right chance to subdue their prey.

It gave people the helpless feeling of a mouse being toyed around with by a cat. No matter where they went, they could never escape from the grasp of the enemy. Additionally, the atmosphere inside the maze is dark and eerie, a complete contrast to the peacefulness outside.

Thankfully, our lovely MC and ML have high mental strength, therefore the psychological pressure had no effect on them.

Originally, it was already hard enough to reach his sister, but having a protagonist who's heated gaze is continuously on him is even more difficult. 

Ever since the two started to travel together, Nan XiSheng's eyes never left Zero; not even for a second. 

That made him feel very uncomfortable and many crazy theories started to pop up in his head.

Was the protagonist still holding a grudge about the time when he pushed him off a cliff? Did he agree to follow him because he wanted to find the chance to kill him? Was he going to die before he even found his sister?

Zero was unable to do anything to harm Nan XiSheng because the individual who is to play the part of a villain could still be changed, but there was no second son of heaven to replace the protagonist's role.

However, he couldn't just sit here and wait for his impending doom! Zero decided to grasp any chance he could get to "accidentally" separate from the latter. That way, not only can he get to his sister, no one will be suspicious about anything!

With this perfect plan in mind, he started to look for any openings for creating an excuse to part ways with Nan XiSheng.

"Senior Brother Liu, would you like to rest?"

"Senior Brother Liu, you can just relax while I get rid of this monster!"

"Senior Brother Liu, where are we heading?"

"Senior Brother Liu..."

Zero: "..."

What 'excuse' to slip away from the protagonist? He's practically onto me 24/7! Since when were we so close to each other anyways!?

"Junior Brother Nan... let's just go take a break. We've been in here for a whole day already and it's"

"Understood, I see a cave in front of us. Senior Brother Liu, do you want to go in there to take a break?"

"Yes, yes."

The two walked into the spacious cave and set up a little. Zero gathered some wood he got from cutting down the wilted trees blocking their way, then used his fire qi to light them up and create a mini fireplace.

After everything was in place, they sat down near the bonfire and kept silent.

The atmosphere was neither tense nor awkward. There was just a peaceful feeling in the air, one that Zero had not experienced for quite some time.

In his previous life, he was always looking for an adventure or just something to do to keep him from feeling bored. It completely contrasted his lazy nature and he, himself, did not know why it was like that.

It was as if every time he had nothing to do, Zero would end up remembering those days eternal loneliness...

Wait.