XXVIII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 | Midday Rides

{ Lyra }

✧✦✧

𝕷yra grinned widely, her laughter echoing around the hill as she leant forward on Blanche, allowing the mare to go even faster. Joffrey cantered along behind, a small smile on his face as he watched the girl in her element.

Blanche barely spooked as Elia appeared, running alongside the horse with her tongue out. It had been a long time since any of the three had the luxury of running as fast as they could for a long period of time.

Finally, Lyra slowed Blanche down, though it did little to stop the large grin on her face. Joffrey appeared beside her, his own horse snorting nervously at Elia.

"Did you enjoy that?" He raised an eyebrow at her mud splattered breeches and the redness of her cheeks.

"You are the best betrothed in the world," Lyra laughed again. Even though she knew that a host of guards sat on the other side of the hill, she was still excited about the freedom. "I can not thank you enough."

"No need," Joffrey smiled, his form relaxed for the first time in a while. "Anything that makes you happy, makes me happy."

Lyra blushed, still unused to the amount of affection that Joffrey seem to love to shower her with.

"Plus, I did promise that you and I would go riding together. I don't break my promises, especially not to you," Joffrey reached over to squeeze her hand, before they turned to walk back. 

"You seem a little on edge," Lyra noted, as Joffrey relaxed instantaneously. "Is your shoulder hurting?"

"No, not at all," He shot her a smile. "It only hurts when it rains. No, it's something that my grandfather said."

"Anything that I can help with?"

"No, he's just being his usual, prickly self," Joffrey squeezed her hand again. "It's nothing to worry about."

"All right," She smiled back at him, as the guards made a reappearance on top of the hill. "I thought, for a moment, that we had lost them."

"No, they've been on the ridge for most of this time," Joffrey replied, urging his horse forward into a faster trot, as Lyra fought a scowl. "They would be a terrible Kings Guard if they managed to lose me and my betrothed."

"I don't think that they're worried about losing you,"

✧✦✧