11

"You knew." Alex said, entering the living room where John was sitting.

"Knew what?" John asked, raising a eyebrow.

"You knew who I was this entire time. You knew I was Philip's dad!" Alex exclaimed, feeling betrayed.

John looked unsurprised by the accusation. "Yes, I did." He admitted.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Alex asked, his voice breaking slightly. "You knew how important knowing who I am is to me!"

John stared at his feet, guiltily. "I couldn't. I wasn't allowed, I didn't have the right to."

"What do you mean?!" Alex demanded, exasperated. "I'm tired of you saying these things and not explaining them!"

"I couldn't tell you, Alex!" John snapped, standing up so he was eye to eye with Alex. "You think I wouldn't want to tell you? You were my best friend! Of course I would have told you if I could! Why do you think I brought you into the office in the first place?!"

Alex glared at him. "Why won't you just explain why you couldn't tell me?! Were you just faking being my friend all along?"

John's eyes seemed to radiate heat. "I wanted to tell you! I really did! But that wasn't my decision!"

"Then who's decision was it?!" Alex snapped, his patience growing short.

"I-I can't tell you!" John stuttered, his face turning slightly red.

"Then what can you tell me?" Alex asked, his voice quieter, but colder.

John didn't answer.

"Fine." Alex said, turning around and walking towards the window and opening it. John avoided eye contact, looking down at his feet. He wanted to say something, to apologize, but he knew he couldn't.

Alex left the house and opened his wings, launching into the sky and flying away. He didn't know where, but the house had seemed suffocating and if he'd stay there any longer he felt like he'd explode.

Meanwhile, John stayed, not moving from his spot in the room, left to pick up the pieces, unknowingly being watched by a young boy.