$5000

Ty and the team had advanced to the Sweet 16 in St. Louis. They had flown out early the morning after their second round game. They arrived in St. Louis at 7am, had hotel check-ins, team breakfast, and an arena walk through at 11am, a light hour long practice and game time at 7.

Ty FaceTimed Shay on the way to walk through.

Ty: Good morning, baby.

Shay: Hi, babe...

Ty: You still sleep? You look like you got hit by a dump truck.

Shay: Yeah...I was.

Ty: I wish I was still asleep. This schedule is for the birds.

Shay: I wish you were here to cuddle with me.

Ty: If I was there, we wouldn't be cuddling.

"Ewwww, Ty!" One of her teammates yelled from behind her. "Brooo, get out my conversation!" Everybody on the bus was cracking up laughing. "Yo, ima call you back after practice cuz these nosey heifas all over my shoulder listening in nshit." Shay was laughing too. "Bye baby." "Hey...I love you." Ty smiled at her. "I love you too," Shay said back.

As soon as she hung up, her dad started calling.

Shayla: Hey daddy!

John: Do not hey daddy me. I just went to make your monthly trust installment and there's $5,000 missing. What did you do?

Shayla: Daddy...I...

John: Shayla, I do not want to hear excuses. Where is the money?

Shayla: I bought a ring...

John: A ring?! What kind of ring?!

Shayla: An engagement ring...

John: A WHAT?!

Shayla: For Ty.

John: YOU DID WHAT?!

Shay: Daddy don't yell.

John: I set up that trust so you could get a house and set yourself up after graduation and you've taken and you took five months of payments to buy something for somebody else?!

Shay: Daddy, I love her and I want to marry her.

John: Shayla, I'm all for you being happy but this isn't okay and it was sneaky and horribly irresponsible.

Shayla: Daddy, please don't be mad.

John: When I proposed to your mama, I spent $1000 on a ring.

Shayla: Times are different now.

John: There's $600 in your checking account and $500 in your savings. You better make it last you through May when school is out, because that's all you'll have.

Shayla: Daddy!

John: You spent $5,000, Shay! That's more than some people make in 6 months!

Shayla: She's worth it, daddy.

John: She better be! I expected something like this from your brother. I never would've expected you to go out and do something crazy like this!

Shayla: We're getting married, daddy. You'll see!

John: You're supposed to be broke in college! That's what's wrong with your generation! You're too damn spoiled!

Shayla: Daddy...

John: Shayla, I don't want to hear it. It's done now. And you're getting a job this summer.

Shayla: I already have an internship, remember.