"He's trying. I don't know. We had a nice time last night and a great dinner, but he's so sad still. I know yesterday, given the circumstances, was worse than usual because it was for me too, but he just seems so lonely. I just think I should stay one more night."

"I completely understand. If you need anything please let me know. Otherwise, I will see you on Sunday."

After thanking Mel and hanging up the phone, I dried off my hair and applied some basic makeup before heading downstairs to join my dad for breakfast, of which I'd be making.

I got started by brewing a pot of coffee, knowing both my dad and I were going to want at least 2 cups each. I then proceeded to make maple coated bacon in the oven, and a pan of cheddar scrambled eggs with ham and onion. My dad had finally wandered into the kitchen just as the last round of toast popped up.

"Good morning, Emmy. What's all this?" He asked, picking up a mug and filling it up with coffee.

"I decided to stay one more day, and since I'm pretty certain you live off of microwave breakfast sandwiches, I figured you deserved a nice breakfast this morning."

The smile that graced my dad's face warmed my heart. I would do anything to keep him smiling like that.

We both ate in a relatively comfortable silence, and afterwords, we decided to go golfing at the local course.

It wasn't a difficult course... only a par 3. Lucky for me, because I really wasn't that good. I was okay since I would golf with my dad often, but nobody would want to recruit me to join their league anytime soon either.

We had a great day together; it was everything that I wanted it to be, and I could tell that my dad appreciated my efforts on giving him a nice weekend. When we returned home, I noticed we didn't have much in the way of dinner for tonight, since my extended stay was unplanned.

"I'm going to the store," I announced after rummaging through the fridge, noting the ingredients I would need for tonight.

"Okay honey, hurry home! I picked out the best movie for us tonight. It's your favorite," my dad called from the couch.

"It's the new Star Wars movie, isn't it?" I chuckled.

"YES!"

"That's your  favorite, dad," I chuckled, "but sounds good to me. Need a refill on your ruffle chips?"

"Oh, actually yes. Thanks," he replied as I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

********

I enjoyed grocery shopping. I found it oddly therapeutic, and a place to be alone with my thoughts despite the other shoppers. Not that this store had too many customers; It was not a chain grocery store, but rather it was a family owned business in our small town. I liked to shop here because it seemed they always had the freshest produce, and often they had fresh baked goods you could pick up as well. I thought about buying fresh cinnamon rolls for the morning since I wanted to head back semi-early.

Although it had been a nice day earlier, rain was now coming down hard outside the store as I hurried to my car. It was almost like the weather knew what was about to go down.

Trying my best to stay dry, I was settling the groceries into my car when everything changed. I had just closed my trunk, rounding my way to the driver's side when a deafening BANG rang out through the parking lot, followed by another, and another.

I covered my ears, turning in time to see some people running and scattering throughout the parking lot; bodies were falling to the ground and crimson red began staining the pavement. The blood mixed with the rain, thinning it out so that it appeared to coat the pavement with ease.