Cobalt

It was a beautiful day. Veronica was practicing jumping with Cobalt. The Saddle Club girls were watching.

Suddenly, Cobalt was almost to a gallop.

"What's she doing?" asked Stevie Lake.

"Veronica, pull in!" Carole Hansen told her.

She did a little bit, but it was too late.

He tried to jump and fell with Veronica still on him.

Carole ran to get Max, while Lisa Atwood went to Veronica and Stevie went to Cobalt.

"Veronica!" she yelled in horror, seeing her fall hard and roll.

She ran to her and knelt beside her.

"Veronica," she said and felt for a pulse on the side of her neck. She was unconscious. Lisa also thought she had a broken arm at least, the way it was set.

"Cobalt has a broken leg," reported Stevie.

"Stevie, get an ambulance!" she said.

She did as she was told.

A few minutes later, Stevie was back, and Max and Carole were coming now.

Several minutes later, the ambulance was there, and Veronica was rushed to the hospital.

Dr. Judy the vet soon arrived.

"He has a broken leg, but he'll be okay," she announced.

The next day, instead of going to Pine hollow, Lisa went to the hospital to see Veronica.

She sat by her in a chair and started talking. By now, Veronica was in a light coma.

"Veronica, it's me. Lisa. I'm sorry for what happened. Cobalt broke a leg, but he'll be okay soon. I know how it is to be in a coma. You know that. Get well soon. Wake up, Veronica. I miss you. I really do miss you. I know you want to be a part of the Saddle Club. I'll try my very best. Just get better."

Two hours later, she woke up.

"Hey, Lisa."

"Hey, Veronica."

"Would you really get me into the Saddle Club?"

"Ya. And if you would like, I could help you be nicer."

"Thanks Lisa. When can I get out of here? I want to see Cobalt."

"I know you do. The doctor will be here soon to let you go."

Just then, the doctor walked in.

"Are you ready to go home?" she asked.

"Ya. I would be grateful to go home."

An hour later, they were walking toward the horse stalls.

They stopped at Cobalt's stall.

They walked into his stall and Veronica hugged him.

"Oh, Cobalt. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," she apologized after letting go of him, petting him on the muzzle.

Lisa left the stall to leave the two of them alone.

She found her friends in the tack room.

They turned to her.

Carole spoke first.

"Why is she with Cobalt? She's the one that hurt him."

"Ya," Stevie agreed.

"Guys, I have to tell you something. Veronica feels terrible about what she did. I let her spend time with him."

"What!?" yelled her friends.

"How could you!?" Carole yelled.

"Guys, I know it's Veronica, but after what happened, she feels horrible."

"Well, she should," Stevie said.

"I think she wants to change. And isn't that what we do? Help people?" Lisa continued.

"Ya, but not her," Carole retorted.

"If she really wants to change, she can do it on her own," Stevie added.

"Fine! But I'm still going to help her change!" Lisa yelled at them and then walked off.

"Hey, Lisa."

"Hey, Veronica. Are you ready?"

"I am."

They went to Prancer's stall and tacked her up.

Next, Lisa and Veronica mounted her, and Veronica handled her, while Lisa rode behind Veronica.

As they rode on the trail, Lisa instructed her on what to do.

When it was almost dark Lisa said, "Let's head back home."

Veronica turned Prancer around and then headed back to Pine Hollow.

Suddenly, Prancer went the other way.

"Where's she going?" asked Veronica.

"If she's going in a different direction, someone's in danger," Lisa explained.

"I didn't know that. I guess now I know."

"Ya. You do," Lisa agreed.

They stopped in the middle of the woods.

They saw Cordelia on her horse Lightning. He was a pure black stallion. He looked identical to Cobalt.

Lightning was rearing up on his rider, scared of what was growling at them. A German Shepherd.

A wild dog, Lisa thought.

"Veronica, dismount and let me help her."

She obeyed.

"Come on, Prancer."

She galloped over by Lightning, grabbed a part of his halter and led him away.

"Are you okay, Cordy?"

"I am. Thanks, Lisa."

"You're welcome."

"See you later," Cordy said and then galloped away on Lightning.

"Let's head back," Lisa said.

Veronica mounted Prancer and Lisa kicked Prancer to a gallop.

Lisa talked to Veronica as she groomed Prancer. They were both in the stall with the Breyer horse. She was telling her how to learn to be nice.

A few days later, Veronica was nice, Lisa and her friends were back, and Veronica was part of the Saddle Club. So, everybody lived happily ever after.