The Close Encounter

Summary: Everyone goes on a camping trip, but Veronica isn't so happy in doing so. Veronica turns up missing for a while. Will The Saddle Club find her in time? Read to find out.

It was a nice day. Everybody at Pine Hollow was going camping. Well, all except Red, Kristi, and Melanie.

"You sure you have everything?" asked Stevie to Lisa.

"Yeah. I'm sure."

Lisa's mom walked up to her daughter.

"Honey, here. You forgot this."

She handed her a rescue whistle.

"Mom," she argued.

"It's better to be safe than sorry, Lisa. Have fun."

Lisa put the whistle around her neck.

"That's a stupid whistle. What do you need that for?" Veronica said.

"Give it a rest, Veronica," replied Carole.

Everybody was getting loaded in the vans.

Veronica went to Kristi.

"Come on, Kristi. Let's go."

"I'm not going."

"What?" Veronica replied.

"Red isn't going. If Red stays, I stay."

"Ugh!"

As Veronica strolled to the van, Max yelled for her to hurry up and get in.

She climbed in a van and looked out at Pine Hollow, as it drove to camp. There wasn't anything to look at, and she was stuck sitting next to The Saddle Club.

Once at camp, Veronica asked to nobody in particular where the cabins were.

"We're not sleeping in cabins. There aren't any. We're sleeping in tents, so you better make yourself useful," Lisa told her.

"We're sleeping in tents!?"

Veronica stomped off.

The girls started talking about Veronica.

Stevie then said, "Don't worry. Veronica won't be staying long."

From her backpack, she pulled out a rubber spider, then put it on Veronica's water bottle.

Veronica came back and went to drink some of her water, and then saw the rubber spider. It landed on her. She screamed, "Get it off!" a few times. After it fell off, Stevie announced to Veronica, "There's my rubber spider."

"Aargh!" Veronica said angrily and then left.

A guy around their age came to the girls when they were by the stream.

"Hi, I'm Phil."

"Hi," Veronica replied.

She then lightly pushed Stevie, who then landed in the river a few inches down.