Paranoia || Naruto Uzumaki || Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

           “He might have mentioned a few…”

           Bingo.

           “Is Caroline one of them? ‘Cause if she is, I don’t care.” Melanie had looked away so he put a gentle hand on her chin, turning her face so he was looking at him. “Ready for some of the cake?”

           Melanie blinked not expecting his subject change. “But-”

           “This time you better share,” Naruto warned, “or else.” He waggled his eyebrows suggestively at her.

           Melanie’s face clouded. “You can’t just change the subject.”

           Naruto paused, his hand stretched out towards the cake. “What exactly is the subject?”

           “Are you going to be okay seeing Caroline? You know I’m nothing like her right? If you don’t wan-”

           Naruto’s boisterous laughing cut her off.  “You’re cute when you worry. You’re mine, believe it!”  He gestured to the still untouched cake. “Can we eat the cake now?” Naruto begged, slightly bouncing in his seat.

           “I got it for you,” Melanie said picking up her sandwich.

           Naruto had grabbed the cake straight from the plate not bothering to use his fork. He quickly chewed the bite he had taken, ignoring the frosting coating his lips. Naruto gave her a charming smile.

           Melanie giggled and Naruto’s stomach flipped. He wasn’t exactly sure what had just happened but he was grateful for her worry and grateful the conversation was over. He hoped he put the subject to rest. There was no need to talk about Caroline. Naruto felt nothing for her, not even anger or hurt.

           Now that her worry had been lifted, Melanie chatted animatedly about her day as Naruto stuffed his face with cake. When he finished he licked his fingers. “What?” Naruto asked catching Melanie’s grossed out look.

           “Got wash your hands! And your face, you have frosting everywhere.”

           “Wash it off for me!”

           “No way!” Melanie pushed against his chest as he leaned towards her.

           “But you’re my maid!”

           In a flash Naruto had Melanie pinned beneath him, her hands trapped above her. He leaned in as if he was going to kiss but at the last moment turned so that chocolate smeared across her cheek. He repeated the action until her face was streaked with frosting. He pulled back to look at his masterpiece, chuckling at her incredulous face. He placed a light kiss on her forehead before getting up. He washed his face off in the kitchen sink and brought Melanie a kitchen towel to clean off with.

           “Do you care if I take a shower?”

           Naruto resisted the numerous jokes bubbling up inside. He quietly led Melanie to his bathroom grabbing her a clean towel and his last clean shirt. He’d have to do laundry- if he ever got around to it. He left Melanie to her shower waiting for the sound of the shower before making a phone call.

           He sat heavily on the couch staring at the empty plates. “Any news?” Naruto asked as soon as the call connected.         

           “No,” Sasuke said.

           Naruto frowned. Wasn’t Itachi supposed to be some genius? “I’m going to keep Melanie at my place till there is.”