Paranoia || Naruto Uzumaki || Prologue

This is a Naruto x OC x Kabuto story. It is AU verse

Kabuto entered the dimly lit room. Space Jam Cyber Cafe was everything its late 90's namesake made it out to be. Various displays of the solar system littered the walls. In the center of the room hung a sun chandelier. Kabuto found the decorations to be tacky and tasteless. He moved to his right walking along tables placed against the window, stopping when he got to the last one. He slid into the chair removing the 'reserved' sign. He came here every afternoon expecting this seat to be waiting for him. From his spot he could see the entire cafe, the entrance and out the window.

He raised his hand and gestured. In a flash a girl was by his side setting down a cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin. Despite its overall appearance Space Jam had the best coffee in three districts. Plus it was the only place in Konoha that had free wi-fi that actually worked. He pulled out his computer and signed onto his favorite gaming site. Kabuto spent hours in his spot, dominating his worthless opponents. Nothing gave him a thrill quite like outsmarting his competition.

"Would you like a refill sir?"

Kabuto's hand jerked making him miss the killing blow. His opponent took the shot ending the game. Stupid-useless-good-for-nothing-girl. Didn't she know that Kabuto was never to be disturbed unless he summoned them? His head snapped to the side, his viscous reply dying on his lips. His heart pounded in his chest. His palm became sweaty where it rested against the mouse. This wasn't one of the regular girls. She was new. Kabuto's eyes hungrily scanned the girl over taking in her long brown hair and thin physique. Her blue eyes were framed by long lashes and a pair of blacked rimmed glasses. Freckles were scattered around her nose and cheeks. Her name tag read 'Melanie.'

"Sir did you hear me?" When Kabuto nodded she flashed him a smile. "Oh, by the way sorry about making you miss the shot. It wouldn't have worked though. The guy's shield had recharged, and he kept you distracted till it finished." She walked away leaving a stunned Kabuto behind. He ran the game play through his mind letting out a frustrated sigh when he realized she was right. When Melanie came back his mind whirled. How could he get her to talk to him again?

"How long were you watching me?" Kabuto blurted.

"Only a few minutes," she replied, un-phased by her intrusion.

"How did you know I was losing?"

"It was obvious. You were so focused on your final move, you didn't see you were cornered. Sometimes it's better to be spontaneous rather than practical." She left to greet a group that walked in. Kabuto watched the girl as she worked, his game no longer holding any appeal. What did she mean being spontaneous was better than being practical? That's how Kabuto won; by planning out each move, revising when needed.

He stayed till closing, slowly packing up his things. He lingered by the front of the cafe hoping to catch Melanie. She appeared before him walking out of the side alley. She hadn't noticed him standing there. Kabuto watched her put in headphones. There was no use calling out to her now so Kabuto followed Melanie. He told himself it was to keep her safe. It was late and a cute girl like her was an easy target. Deep down inside he knew he couldn't bear to leave her just yet. He followed close behind, slowing down or hiding when she glanced over her shoulder.

He felt a thrill each time he avoided being caught. He liked this game.

He followed her all the way home letting out a low whistle when they came to her neighborhood. It was an upscale area known for lavish living. When she turned off the sidewalk into a driveway Kabuto committed her house number and street name to memory. He stood across the street watching the windows intensely. The one on the left lit up catching his attention.

He watched Melanie approach the window and gaze outside at the dormant street. Kabuto was confident she couldn't see him. His pulse quicken as she stripped her shirt revealing a lacy undershirt. His stomach dropped in disappointment when she closed the blinds. He waited a few minutes to see if she would reopen them before walking away. By the time he reached his apartment his next encounter with Melanie had been planned out.