Paranoia || Naruto Uzumaki || Chapter 1

The light breeze outside felt heavenly as Melanie rode her bike to work. She came to a halt as the streetlight turned red, waiting for her turn to cross. She barely made it across the street before she felt her bike wobbling. Desperately grasping the handles to steady herself, she put her feet to the ground skidding to a halt. She rested the bike against a nearby wall and squatted down to evaluate the problem.

After a moment Melanie let out a string of colorful curses. The chain on her bike had broken and she had no idea how to fix the stupid thing. She checked her watch, cursing again after noting the time. She'd never make it to work on time.

"Need some help?"

Melanie jumped turning to see a boy squatting down next to her. "Yes please, I'd really appreciate it."

She moved out of his way, straightening up. As he got to work, she used his distraction to get a good look at him. He was wearing orange running shorts and a white tank top that showed off his lean form. His headphones rested against his neck; she could hear the music playing. Melanie laughed when he paused to play an air guitar, singing along with the song. The boy grinned at her scratching the back of his head.

Blonde hair and blue eyes huh? How wonderfully cliché Melanie thought. He was cute, really cute, and not to mention; in shape. "So if it happens again, you'll be able to fix it now."

Melanie blinked realizing the boy had been talking to her. She smiled nodding her head, inwardly sighing. What had he been saying? She had been too busy admiring him. "Thank you so much..." Melanie hesitated not knowing the boy's name.

"Naruto," he said. "You're very welcome." He gave her a charming smile, waving as he resumed his run. She hopped on her bike unable to keep the smile off her face.

Melanie walked into the back entrance of Space Jam relieved to see that she was only a few minutes late. She grabbed her apron and name tag from the wall, making her way to the front.

"Melanie, oh thank goodness you're here."

Melanie smiled at her co-worker struggling to remember her name. She snuck a glance at the girls name tag. "Sorry I'm late Sakura, I had troubles with my bike."

Sakura waved a dismissive hand pushing a tray at Melanie before piling it with various pastries and a coffee cup. "Take this to the guy in the corner."

Melanie scanned the area where Sakura pointed. She recognized the same silver haired boy from yesterday. She carefully balanced the tray against her hip as she weaved through the tables.

Kabuto had arrived at Space Jam earlier than usual. When he walked up to the counter Sakura gave him a startled glance. "It's really important that the new girl brings me my order." He left without waiting for her reply knowing she would comply. Sakura was glad to give the task to Melanie. Kabuto was a snob when it came to his order and something about him gave her the creeps.

Kabuto waited impatiently for Melanie to arrive. He tapped his fingers against the table as he set up his game. It needed to be just right if his plan was going to work. His heart sped up as he caught a figure walking towards him out of the corner of his eye. He looked up at Melanie and smiled.

"Hello again," he said.

"Hiya." Melanie placed a few items on the table pausing to push her glasses back in place. She had worn her hair differently today. It hung in lose braids a few strands strategically framing her face. Kabuto hated it. He had liked when it hung loose and free. He wondered what it would feel like to tangle his fingers in it.

When Melanie placed the last item on the table Kabuto made his move. He let out a frustrated sigh removing his glasses. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed again.