Chapter Sixteen | Hospital Visit

Chase

The second those words came out of her mouth, I panicked and looked over at her.

“There’s no way in hell that I’m going in there. Especially after what I just showed you. I can’t face that place after 11 years,” I said, terrified of the place.

“Someone needs to get your shit together and open your eyes to realise that the world isn’t all bad. Since I wanna be your friend I could be that person to get your shit together.”

I sighed, thinking about the possibilities on how the trip to the hospital could go. I didn’t want to face the hellhole I found out the perfect five year old life I was living had changed.

“Fine, but not for long. I hate everything to do with hospitals and I don’t want to remember too much.”

We both caught the bus together to the hospital. The wind was blowing strongly and the clouds were greying. Without a jumper, your body would freeze.

The usual stares on the bus were worse than ever, since I was actually seen with someone. Charlie was constantly talking to me, which I was thankful for. It slightly distracted me from the stares but not entirely.

When we got out I was relieved but then I looked up ahead and my mood dropped.

“Wait Charlie!” I called out.

She was ahead of me, and I was behind, not wanting to go any further than this. She turned around and gestured her hand to go to her.

“I’m not ready. I can’t go in,” I told her.

“You haven’t gone in there for 11 years, I think it’s time to face your fear,” she said coming closer, then behind me. She grabbed the handles and started pushing me forward.

“Please, I’m not ready,” I said, trying to grab onto the wheels.

“Chase, my mum died recently in a hospital and I found out there that I was an orphan. My life literally changed in a hospital, but I overcame my fear. It’s time you overcame your fear.”

“Fine,” I sighed. “I can push myself, just lead the way.”

“Sure,” she said and led us through many familiar hallways.

Charlie pushed open the door and I went inside, the all too familiar room. Children were playing and having a good time, despite their situations. They played together, not minding whatever they were in here for.

“You’re pretty famous around here,” she said.

I frowned, confused. “How?”

“A few of the kids know how inspirational you are.”

“I’m not. I’m just a freaky, disabled kid.”

“Don’t be mean. It’s like you’re calling these children freaky cause some of them have a disability,” she scolded me.

“Sorry,” I said, quietly.

“Now let’s go meet a few of your fans.”

____

 “I think this girl really looks up to you,” Charlie said, leading us towards a younger girl who sat by the beanbags.

She had light brown hair and blue eyes, and she sat in a purple wheelchair. She was reading a book and looked really interested when we approached her.