Chapter Two | Meeting Him

About half an hour into the ride, Olivia started complaining, "Are we there yet? How much longer? I'm hungry."

"Are you two hungry?" Miss Reed questioned.

"Yes," Olivia screamed.

Miss Reed chuckled and replied, "Alright, we'll stop at McDonald's for some breakfast."

I didn't bother replying, as I was looking out the window, watching the world go by as if nothing happened. My eyes were tired and I was starting to dose off, but kept myself from falling asleep until later into the journey.

The car started to pull up and eventually stopped at a parking spot not far from the McDonald's restaurant. I got out of the car and went around to the other side of the car to unbuckle Olivia from her seat. Once she was unbuckled, she jumped out of her seat and started running towards the restaurant. Luckily it was early in the morning and no cars were around.

I run after her and once I caught up with her I scold her, "Olivia! Don't ever run away from me again. What happens if a car was there? You could've died."

Tears welled up in her eyes. She looked down at her feet and then looked up at me with her big blue eyes shining with unshed tears.

"Olivia, I'm sorry, please don't cry. I was just scared that you could've gotten run over if a car was coming, and we only have each other left," I explained sincerely to her.

She wiped her tears away with the end of her shirt, and stretched her hands out, so I could pick her up. I hugged her tightly and turned around to see if I could spot Miss Reed anywhere.

I spotted her straight away, her phone in her hands and it looked as if she was taking a photo of me and Olivia. As soon as she noticed us looking back at her, she put her phone into her skirt pocket and quickly walked towards us.

"Miss Reed, what were you doing?" Olivia asked curiously and wriggled out of my hands.

"I was just taking some pictures of the two of you," she responded as if it was nothing and she did it every day.

"Why?"

"Because, the two of you looked cute hugging each other like that, and I was thinking you two could be in the new advertisement, the company that I work for is putting up."

"That's pretty cool," I said and watched as Olivia ran inside of McDonald's. We quickly followed behind her, until she stopped in front of the cash register.

"What would the two of you like?" Miss Reed asked us.

"I want pancakes and orange juice," Olivia exclaimed.

"Can I please have the bacon and egg mcmuffin, hash brown and some orange juice," I politely asked the girl serving at the cash register, who looked to be around her early twenties.

"Will that be all?" She asked.

"Can I have a medium coffee to go," Miss Reed asked.

"Sure, that comes to a total of $10.90. Will that be cash or card?"

"Cash."

Miss Reed handed the girl the money, the girl took it and stored it away into the cash register.

"Here's your change," the girl said handing back 10 cents to Miss Reed, "Won't be long."

She rushed off to the back of the restaurant to prepare the food. I stood near the counter with Olivia and Miss Reed nearby. I looked around the restaurant, it looked like a typical McDonald's restaurant. The McCafe was near the entrance, in front of the McDonalds counter, and there were seats located around the restaurant to the left of the main counter. The TV on the wall, was playing a childish show, hardly anyone around since it was early, and summer holidays were still on. Olivia patiently stood next to me, looking at previous colouring contests, stuck on the wall. Miss Reed was on her phone like she usually was, cautiously staring down at it.