Chapter Four | The Second Day

Charlie

I woke up at around nine o'clock in the morning, my eyes sore and tired from the amount of crying. I yawned, stretching my arms and accidentally hitting the bunk above me with a loud thud. I hissed in pain, cursing at the sudden rush of pain to my hands. I shook my hands before getting up, out of bed and heading downstairs.

I was still in the clothes from yesterday, meaning I must've fallen asleep in these clothes. I ran a hand through my hair, feeling a huge amount of knots, not planning to budge anytime soon. I'd have to use a brush later, I thought.

I went into the kitchen, finding Miss Lancy there cooking breakfast in a kitchen apron, decorated with two teddy bears.

She looked up as I entered, smiling kindly and saying, "Good morning."

"Good morning," I replied.

"How are you doing?" She asked, eyeing me worriedly.

"I'm okay," I said looking towards the ground, not wanting to see her gaze on me.

I felt her arms wrap around me, pulling me into a tight hug, "I know you're not okay," she whispered into my ear.

A tear slid down my cheek as she pulled away from the hug and went back to cooking.

"The bathroom is the black door at the bottom, near the stairs, if you need to use it," she told me.

"Thank you," I said before rushing back upstairs towards my room.

I took out a pair of suitable clothes for the day from the suitcase and my hair brush before rushing back downstairs. I didn't notice anything before I collided with someone. I cursed at myself, under my breath when I saw who it was. It was the same guy whose room Olivia and I had barged into yesterday. I had rammed into his chair, almost tipping him over. He grabbed onto my arm, steadying himself then muttering a few things under his breath whilst pushing himself back into his room.

I shrugged my shoulders, before going into the bathroom to take a shower.

I found myself curiously glancing at the handlebars near the toilet. There were no child products or toys in this bathroom. The tiles were a nice, white colour looking elegant with the black shower. This looked nothing like a bathroom suitable for children, I found myself thinking.

I came out of the bathroom feeling and looking a bit better than before. My hair was wet, and my face was clear of any dried up tears. I came into the kitchen, seeing Miss Lancy had already finished cooking breakfast and was setting the table.

"Miss Lancy," I called out.

She turned around at my voice replying, "Yes, dear."

"Umm, where do I put my dirty clothes?" I asked.

She came up to me, taking my dirty clothes into her hands and leading me back towards the bathroom.

"This is the laundry basket," she pointed it out before dumping the clothes into it.

"Miss Lancy, who uses this bathroom?" I asked, feeling curious as to why there wasn't any child body wash or toothpaste around.

"I use it and so does Chase, the children use the bathroom upstairs, as it's more suitable for children," She answered, my curiosity finally satisfied.

"Ohh, is he the boy on the wheelchair?" I asked, thinking back to what had happened not long ago, seeing as he was heading for the bathroom at the same time I was.

"Yeah, now breakfast is ready, let's go eat," she said, clasping her hands together before walking out of the bathroom.

I sighed, suddenly feeling guilty for making the boy nearly fall over in his chair. At least he had a quick reaction and that saved him by grabbing onto me. I would have to apologise later, I thought.