Chapter 25

Author's Note: If you have any writing tips, please feel free to comment.

Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills as a writer.

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 25

Lainey stood rooted to the spot, her gaze fixed on the grenade which had landed on the table a few feet away from her. Roach reacted instantly; he dashed inside, grabbed the table and flipped it. A second before Roach slammed her to the ground, the grenade exploded, shattering the table into thousand pieces. Wooden fragments penetrated his neck and he groaned. Blood splattered around them but there was no time to check the wounds. Grabbing her from her t-shirt, he dragged her behind the counter while putting down suppressing fire.

Mrs. Collins was sprawled on the floor, possibly a result of taking in too much what was going on around her. He urged Collins to stay with her as he took care of the remaining soldiers.

He grabbed his assault rifle and started firing at the enemy. That was enough. He was fed up with all of this.

"AARRGGHH!"

An arm wrapped around him and he stumbled to the floor. The soldier got on top of him and prepared to thrust his knife into Roach's throat.

"Oh no you don't you wanker," he snarled.

Roach wrapped his legs around the soldier's neck and pushed with all his strength. Shots echoed in the air which served as a distraction. The soldier let go of him and Roach was in the dominant position. He pointed his sidearm in the enemy's face and pulled the trigger. He turned around and observed the bodies slumped over the hallway. Collins collapsed behind the counter again and dropped her gun.

"Lainey, look at me, are you ok?" he asked.

She did not reply. She kept staring at her mum who was stirring on the ground.

"Lainey!" he said firmly, stroking her hair and grabbing her, "how are you feeling?"

"I think I'm ok," she mumbled. "Mum..."

"She's waking up."

Roach helped Mrs. Collins out in the backyard, away from the carnage and for some fresh air. A neighbor was preparing to assist them but he urged her to stay away.

"What happened?" she muttered.

"There has been an attack. You fainted, probably due to low blood pressure."

"Lainey?"

"She is inside assessing the situation."

"Oh, I don't know what would have happened if you weren't here, young man," she whimpered.

"Lainey would have probably got the job done anyway ma'am," he chuckled. "She's a very skilled woman."

"Yes, that I can agree with."

She smiled slightly at him and grabbed his hand in hers.

"You like her don't you?"

He was taken aback by this question. That question was the last thing he had expected in that situation. He started stammering and gave up when he noticed that it wouldn't be easy to deceive the mother of the woman he had liked for a long time.

"She is a bit stubborn. Has she always been like this?" he asked, curiosity getting the better of him.

"Yesterday, you experienced first-hand, something that Lainey went through every day in her childhood. She is a woman who has plenty of love to give but guards herself behind a high wall. It is part of her instinct."