Chapter 20

Author's Note: If you have any writing tips, please feel free to comment.

Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills as a writer.

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 20

Ghost was on one knee trying to steady his breath. He felt nervous and his palms were sweating. Williams was wide-eyed and looked stunned. He didn't know if that was positive or negative but hoped for the best as he felt for the bulge in his right pocket.

"What are you doing?" she whispered.

"I'm admiring the floor," he replied sarcastically and then became serious. "Charlene, I know we have been together for only two years but we're not young. We're mature enough to know and feel that we're perfect for each other especially after last night. I realized that whatever we go through we've always been there for each other and that's the kind of woman I want in my life."

He took a deep breath and reached for his pocket. He took out a small, black velvet box and opened it revealing the most exquisite ring. Its design was classic; a split shank white gold band and a round diamond with a bezel setting. The diamond reflected the morning light magnificently. Williams was in a daze. She felt light-headed. Was this really happening?

"From where did you manage to find a ring?" she asked, curious.

He gave her an annoyed look.

"I'm standing here proposing to you and you ask that?"

"I'm sorry."

He chuckled and took her hand.

"Charlene Sofia Williams, will you marry this old, boring Brit?"

"Yes. Umm, no."

Ghost stood up and looked at her, puzzled.

"No?" he asked, crestfallen.

"No, yes!"

"You know how this works, yeah?"

She laughed and hid her face in embarrassment.

"I know! It's just... too overwhelming," she said, biting her lip.

"Let's try this again," he grinned. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes! Definitely," she yelled.

He expressed a sigh of relief and grabbed the ring. He slipped it on her left ring finger. She screeched and flung her arms around his neck. He squeezed her and laughed. He couldn't be happier. This was the best day of his life.

Their lips met in a fiery and passionate kiss. They simply stood there cuddling and stroking each other's hair. They savored the moment the best way they could.

"Simon, I have to pack," Williams mumbled.

"Not yet," he implored.

She broke away and smiled sadly at him.

"I love you."

"I love you too," he beamed.

"Seriously, from where did you get the ring?"

Ghost chuckled and a mischievous grin appeared on his face as he remembered what happened a few hours before.

"It's a long story..."

--- --- --- --- ---

"You have to leave... again."

Yuri was leaning against the wall seeing Red checking that she hasn't left anything lying around. They haven't been there a long time but they still had to recheck that their weapons were operable after their last mission and any clothes she might have changed.