Chapter Twelve ~ Goodbye Forever

Chapter Twelve

Goodbye Forever

            “Who says eating cake for breakfast is wrong, eh Babes?” Adalyn said, digging her fork into a large piece of dark chocolate and raspberry cake. They were sitting on a park bench a little ways from their favourite bakery early Saturday morning before they went to the Burrow, and were being very naughty.

“Aunties.” Said Syrie happily “But that stupid.”

“Don’t say stupid honey, it’s not a nice word.”

Adalyn knew she shouldn’t feed her daughter a huge piece of cake for breakfast, but she was feeling blue; Harry was getting married the next day, and she needed a big piece of bad-for-you-but-oh-so-good cake to make her feel better. “How’s your cake Syrie?” she asked, looking beside her to see Syrie completely covered in chocolate icing, but blissfully happy.

Grinning up at her mother, Syrie dug her little hand right into what was left of the cake and put it in her mouth “Breakfast cake tomorrow, too?” she asked.

“Nope, tomorrow is Daddy’s wedding.” She said glumly “And I think I’ll be eating a lot of cake there, too.”

“Daddy luuurv Gin, Momma!” said Syrie “Momma luuurv Daddy, too?”

Sighing, Adalyn started to wipe the icing from Syrie’s face “I don’t even know anymore munchkin; it’s just to darn confusing.”

            The Burrow was a flurry of activity that afternoon and cleaner than it had been since Bill and Fleur’s wedding; the Flutterby bushes were back on the newly swept stoop and Mrs. Weasley looked completely frazzled.

“Hello Adalyn dear!” she said, taking Syrie in her arms “So good to see you, and Syrie! I think you have chocolate on your chin sweetie.” Wiping the chocolate off with her thumb, Mrs. Weasley led them through the house and out the back door and out the garden, down a path and up to a small semi-circle of cottages separated by a few trees.

“Are these new Molly?” asked Adalyn as she followed her up the steps of the farthest cottage.

“Yes, we built them a year ago when we realized we might need some more room eventually.” She unlocked the door and let it swing open “We found a crib for Syrie, but if she would rather sleep with you that’s fine.”

Syrie scrambled up onto the double bed and began to jump up and down, grinning like a maniac. “Thank you Molly,” said Adalyn “What can we do to help?”

“I’ll be assigning jobs after lunch, s just get settled and come down when you’re ready. I’ve got sandwiches being made, and I know Teddy and Victoire are looking forward to seeing their friend.” She waved and left them alone.

Adalyn flopped backwards onto the double bed, arms spread wide like an angel. Syrie crawled up close to her and curled into her crook of her arm and let out a sigh “Momma sad?”