Chapter 1.2

RAË

After school, I made my way to Snack Attack, where my friends awaited me. I took the route above the tennis courts. As I was crossing, I noticed one of the players – it was the boy we had wagers on.

He caught sight of me while retrieving the ball. Eyes on me as he sandwiched the ball between his foot and racquet, lifting it up in one smooth motion, he bounced and seized it. Then breaking away he walked over to the serving line, tossed the ball high and struck down with force. His opponent, Varun missed the shot and laughed out, amazed by his athletic prowess.

There was something about him, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I eyed him, he had a look, a look threatening to conquer ... but not really even.

I tore my eyes away as I neared my friends.

"Thanks to Neel, I missed the announcement about the quantum physicist," I said, snapping a piece of peanut-brittle from Shazia, my roommate.

"The science of vibration. Offered every Tuesday, after school. No credits," said Shazia.

"I knew I wasn't missing out on anything," said Neel.

"Anything with the word science makes my skin crawl," said Lydia.

"Design Lab is open for use. New technology for 3-D prototyping," said Sakura. "Seniors get the Tuesday rotation."

"You can sneak in all the gaming you like," said Shazia.

"Well, Principal Cheyo seems to think it will change our lives."

"Is that what he said?" asked Neel.

"'It will change your life, you will not regret it', were his precise words."

My friends remained silent. An after-school-hours science course? Without credits? Had little appeal to them.