Epilouge

I woke up and rolled over to grab my phone. I looked at the date and remembered what day it was. It's been one year since I went with Brendon for that first night.

I stayed on my phone for a little bit, mindlessly scrolling through social media, my notifications, and watching an episode of Big Mouth on Netflix.

A knock on my door caused me to finally stand up, because I locked the door last night.

"Hey, sweet girl." Sarah hugged me and kissed the top of my head. "Dad wants to take you to breakfast then the four of us are gonna go do something later."

"Okay." I answered, and Sarah rushed me to get dressed.

I put on a pair of mom jeans, a white and red Vans t shirt, and then my rainbow checkered vans. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, put on deodorant, and put on a little bit of make up.

Brendon knocked on my door a little bit later.

"Morning, C." He hugged me and kissed the top of my head. "Are you ready to go?" He had on his classic outfit of black skinny jeans and a white t shirt.

"Yeah." I grabbed my phone and followed him outside to the car, where I connected my phone to Bluetooth.

I played a variety of stuff, mostly Billie Eilish and Twenty One Pilots. But then Brendon turned it down.

"So you've been with me for a year." He said, looking at me as he tried to drive. "How am I doing as a parent?"

"You're the best." I said, seriously.

"Really?" He smiled. "I don't know I feel like I screw up sometimes because I never really make you guys do anything because I don't see a reason to and you guys do everything you're supposed to."

"No. You're the best I could've asked for." He smiled at me.

"It's crazy."

"What?" I replied.

"I don't wanna make you sad or anything but like a year ago you were so sad and there was nothing I could do except try and be there for you and worry about you. But you're happy now, right?"

"I'm happy." I promised him.

We got into the restaurant and our topic of conversation was our best times of the past year.

"Tour was the best. I wanna do that a million more times." I said, thinking about every where I got to visit. "New York City was my absolute favorite."

"It's the best."

We sat in silence for a little bit, picking at our food.

"What?" I asked Brendon as he seemed off for a second.

"I wish I had found you sooner, if that makes sense. Like, our time together will always be limited because I missed out on so much of the beginning of your life and I feel like I'm never going to know you all the way."

"But you were there when I needed you. And that's what's more important. Time doesn't matter. I've always been your kid wether we knew it yet or not. And you know more about me than anyone else." We talked for a little bit longer.

We headed into the car to meet Alyssa and Sarah back at the house. I played my favorite Panic! song in the car ride for the entire time, Northern Downpour.

If all our life is but a dream
Fantastic posing greed
Then we should feed our jewelery to the sea
For diamonds do appear to be
Just like broken glass to me

And then she said she can't believe
Genius only comes along
In storms of fabled foreign tongues
Tripping eyes, and flooded lungs
Northern downpour sends its love

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down

Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely

The ink is running toward the page
It's chasin' off the days
Look back at both feet
And that winding knee
I missed your skin when you were east
You clicked your heels and wished for me

Through playful lips made of yarn
That fragile Capricorn
Unraveled words like moths upon old scarves
I know the world's a broken bone
But melt your headaches, call it home

Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down
Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely
Sugarcane in the easy mornin'
Weather-vanes my one and lonely
Hey moon, please forget to fall down
Hey moon, don't you go down
You are at the top of my lungs
Drawn to the ones who never yawn

"Can I call you dad?" I asked Brendon as the song ended the first time.

"Yeah." He smiled then wiped his eye. "Sorry, I didn't want to ask you because it's your choice, I'm just happy you want to."

The song played through again and Brendon sang my favorite part louder than every other part.

I know the worlds a broken bone,
But melt your headaches, call it home