5.1

So Brendon and I never went home that night at the hospital, the blood test results came back bad I guess, I don't know how they classify it. But they wanted to give her the bone marrow biopsy that night.

Sarah picked me up from school three days after the surgery, on time so I didn't think anything of it, and I don't think she did either.

But when we got back, Brendon was on the phone and his face was in his hands.

"Yeah, I know. Can she take like normal pain killers for now? Benadryl? What will the schedule be, like how often will it have to be? Can you email me the schedule and what the medicine will be? Yes the email I have on file is fine. Okay, you have a good day."

"It was positive?" Sarah said, and I had never heard all of the hope and light completely drained out of her voice before then.

Brendon's eyes showed the same loss of hope and light.

"Is she asleep?" Sarah asked, she went to sit next to Brendon and I followed her.

"She's in our room." Brendon wrapped an arm around me, and kissed the side of my forehead.

"I'm gonna go lay with her for a little bit." Sarah said quietly, and went to their room.

"Are you okay?" Brendon asked me, and I shrugged.

"I guess." I sighed, and moved Brendon's arm so it was around my shoulder.

"She'll start chemo tomorrow. They want to start it as soon as possible because she's so small they're worried it spread too fast." He said more to himself then to me.

"Are you okay?" I asked him and he rubbed his eyes.

"I mean, I'm not supposed to be scared, but I'm really scared." He started crying and I didn't know what to do.

I turned so I was hugging him, since he moved his arm from my shoulder.

"They got it early though right? Like it's only been a week." I hugged him as tight as I could.

"Cate." He wiped his eyes, "She has acute lymphoblastic leukemia. It's one of the fastest spreading cancers, especially since it's in the blood, and where you said she's already small for her age she doesn't have as much as we do because she doesn't need the same amount."

"So is she gonna die?" I felt my voice crack.

"They said they won't know the chances until she starts treatment, and she'll have to do a couple of treatments before they can say." I didn't say anything, but I kept my hand on my Urie necklace, fiddling with it until I could think of something to say. "I need to go to the studio." He headed out the back door and I was left alone in the living room.

I picked up my phone from where I had left it on the island in the kitchen, I had too many missed text from the group chat.

From Mags : bro my sub today in 6th period was cute but he was kinda stupid

From Lucy : mag he was probably like 90

From Mags : no he was like mid 20s probably

From Landon : I wish I was Jared, 19.

From Lucy : you can't say that is response to every text somebody sends

From Landon : see if I were Jared, 19 I wouldn't even be able to know what that said and I could say whatever I wanted

From Mags : does anybody know how to do the math homework ?

From Lucy : I don't have the same teacher, isn't Cate in your class tho