65

Jimin lightly trailed his fingers up and down my arm causing me to shiver.

"Jimin?"

He hummed in response, his eyes focused on his hands.

"Sumi said Daehyun is coming here to get her."

That got his attention. His fingers stopped gliding over my skin, and his focus was suddenly on my face. "What? When?"

"Tonight sometime." I sat back up and pulled Jimin with me. I could tell he was less than excited by this news, so I took his hands in mine and tried to regain his attention. "Jimin? She also said that Daehyun is the one who posted the job to bring me home-"

"What?!" His eyes flashed amber for just an instant and he squeezed my hands a little too tightly.

"But he's cancelling it," I quickly added. "According to Sumi, he thinks I'm safe here. He just didn't want me to be alone in case someone came after me."

Jimin relaxed his grip on my hands, letting one drop completely, and reached up to cup my cheek. His eyes softened, but were still full of fierce concern.

"Do you believe her?" he whispered.

I shook my head, and replied in a hushed tone, "I don't know. But you should let the other guys know. We should be prepared just in case shit hits the fan."

In an attempt to stifle a laugh, Jimin let out a small snort instead. A genuine smile spread across his face. "After we get this all figured out, can I take you on a date?"

I couldn't help myself, I let out a small, very girly giggle. My cheeks heated up with embarrassment almost immediately. "Yes."

With a wide grin on his face, Jimin stood up from the bed and started toward the door.

I reached out an grabbed his hand before he was out of my reach, stopping him mid-stride. He turned to give me a quizzical look, one eyebrow raised.

"Is it okay if I just stay here until dinner?"

His dark brown eyes melted into a look of gentle concern. "Of course. Lay down if you need to. I'll be back soon."

I didn't release my grip on his hand. "Jimin, I have a confession," I said quietly, my gaze drifting to the floor.

He turned to face me and took a step closer. "Oh?"

"I love..." I looked up to see Jimin completely bewildered. "Your mattress," I grinned. "It's amazing."

It look a couple beats, but Jimin rolled his eyes. "It is. I know." With that, he turned on his heel and quickly made his way to the door. As the door closed behind him, I heard Jimin mutter under his breath, "Tease."

As soon as I heard the door click shut, I rolled into the middle of the bed and assumed the starfish position. It was almost magical the way the springs or foam, I honestly wasn't sure, seemed to cradle my body perfectly. I let out a sigh and tried to clear my mind, only focusing on the comfort provided by the greatest mattress I had every encountered.

But, it only lasted a few moments until worry, paranoia, and a deep sense of guilt began to settle in.

Ugh. Why am I human? Why couldn't I have been born an actual wolf? Or a rock?

Everything from the past few days was swirling in my head making me dizzy. I tried to connect things, like a puzzle.

JiHoon and Sumi were dating humans rather than their hybrid fiance, both of whom are/were Chois. Who said The Council was cracking down on human-hybrid relations? Yoongi? Or was it Hobi?

Why would anyone come after the Choi Family? Everyone in the hybrid community knows how much power and money my family has, not to mention the security offered by the Park Family. It would be foolish to attack the Chois.

Unless, it really isn't about the Choi Family.

Is it about setting an example? That human-hybrid relations are forbidden? Is it a warning to Hunters?

But, JiHoon was asking for loans. Maybe he took a loan from the wrong person and couldn't pay it back? Maybe Sumi is into some shady stuff and it's all just a coincidence?

Maybe I'm just going crazy?

I let out a groan and rubbed my temples.

"Y/n," Jimin called, poking his head in the door. "Do you want some dinner?"

I hauled myself off of the bed and dragged my feet, making my way to a smiling Jimin. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pressed a kiss just to the side of my forehead.

"I love that mattress, too."