Long Live Evil

Depuis le début

"So? I'm not afraid." I replied. My brother, being the Boy Who Lived, was granted a spot in the first VIP box, right along the Ministers of Magic, and watched the Quidditch World Cup between Bulgaria and Ireland. He got to even meet the Irish and Bulgarian players, and got an autograph from Viktor Krum. Some ex-Death Eaters grabbed their old cloaks and masks after they'd had a few drinks, and levitated the muggles running the campsite, and pretty much burned the place down.

That was nothing, though, compared to the panic that ensued when the Dark Mark was shot into the sky. I know, I was nearby, and nearly Stunned when it was shot into the sky.

"You should be." Mum spoke up. "You don't know what they're capable of, you're much too young."

Frustration rumbled below the surface. Try me.

"I always knew that being in Slytherin was bad for you," Dad began. "You hang around children of You-Know-Who's inner circles, all day, every day. They're corrupting you. Making you think that you can get away with saying You-Know-Who's name, and drawing Dark Marks on your classmates' arms whenever they doze in class."

I merely arched an eyebrow. I'd almost forgot about that one time I did it to Hannah Abbott when she fell asleep in Binn's class. Let's be fair, it was an extremely artistic rendition of it.

"Oh, I know, Severus keeps letting her get into all sorts of mischief," Mum joined in. "Graffiti in the dungeons, learning obscure dark hexes in the library, doing stupid stunts on the rooftop. I had such hopes for him as her godfather."

"He never gives detentions when those little brats deserve it," Dad added. "Quite frankly, they should be in detention for five long hours doing excruciating labor every night, then maybe we'd get decent folk out of Slytherin."

Tears were coming up. No matter what I do, they'll never be proud. I wrestled them back, keeping the bored, rebellious expression on my face. Letting them know that they'd gotten to me would be letting them win.

"That nasty little boy isn't much help." Mum agreed.

Rage flamed, and was slowly melting my icy exterior. No one insults my best friend.

"Speaking of which, and the subject we were originally on, your mother and I had something to say to you," Dad began. He and Mum exchanged a glance. "With the recent surge in Death Eater activity, we feel that it would be best if you broke it off with that Malfoy brat."

"Did someone say Draco Malfoy?" The boy of the hour swung into the doorway of the compartment. The boy in question was already in the Hogwarts uniform, minus the robes. Mum and Dad looked at him in disgust, Harry in hatred.

"What do you want around here, Malfoy?" Dad demanded sharply. I grabbed my own bag, a black shoulder-purse with designs of Maleficent's dragon on it and spindles, and slung it on my shoulder.

"I wanted to borrow Ali." Draco replied with a smirk, looking me in those silvery eyes.

"You may not." Mum said sharply.

"Mum!" I protested. I stood up.

"Sit down, Alice." Dad ordered. I ignored that, and walked past them. "Do you think that the rules don't apply to you? You really are a little snake."

"Of course I don't." I replied airily. "I know they don't." I waved, and I trailed out of the compartment, despite the fact that I would pay for that later.

"What's up with them?" Draco asked, as we began towards our compartment, where all of us Slytherin gang-members, me, Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, Theodore, and Millicent got into trouble. Blaise Zabini hung out with other Slytherins in our year, and the other girls, although part of Pansy's clique, didn't like me all that much. Not that I cared.