41 - You Look So Much Happier

It's been weeks since the last time they saw each other and there's no denying how much she missed Lisa. Despite trying contacting her there was not much response from the girl, maybe she was busy he thought. It was not that Lisa was ignoring her, she still replied but it wasn't as constant as in the past. He understands that it's because they are no longer together and that Lisa no longer feels the same but still he hopes that God would allow him a chance at love again because this time he'll do things right.

He woke up tired from all the responsibilities life had given him. It was getting harder and harder to carry by himself and Lisa was and still is the light in the darkness. He really needs a dose of happiness. Just seeing and hearing the girl laugh would make him instantly happier. He decided to up his game today and surprise Lisa, maybe that would work cause despite the girl saying she disliked surprises deep down he knew Lisa loved it when he does that.

He spins on his bed and looks at the empty space on the left and he's always reminded of the time when Lisa would happily wake him up and give him a good morning kiss. He wonders if Lisa thinks of the same thing when she wakes up in the mornings. Getting up from his bed, he readied himself for work and planned what to surprise Lisa with. Today was a particularly long day for Seojun, he hoped time would move faster so he could see Lisa sooner. Hopefully she'd be free to spend some time with him.

When the clock stroke half past five in the afternoon, he ran as fast as he could to his motorbike and went back to his house. He asked Joohyun to prepare a picnic basket for him and Lisa and her sister happily obliged, so he picked it up after work and went straight to the university. Arriving at half past seven the sky was already a shade of yellow and orange preparing for sunset where the sun would say goodbye, the moon would slowly rise and the sky would turn dark. He went to the usual place Lisa stayed at and he arrived a little bit too enthusiastic to see the girl. However, things weren't as he expected for Lisa was nowhere to be found. He talked to one of the girl's practicing her dance routine and asked "Do you know where Lisa is?".

The girl answered non-chalantly as if the answer to the question was so obvious, "She's wherever Chaeyoung is?".

Seojun said his thanks and bid goodbye to the girl. He tightened his grip on the basket wishing the food would still be warm by the time she finds the girl. He rings Lisa's number in the hopes that she would answer the call. It rings a few times until the call ends. No answer again. Dejectedly, he walks to the university's park and sat at one of the benches. He thinks that maybe today was not his day and he wouldn't be able to see the girl but again life has its own way of surprises and he finds the girl he was looking for. He finds her walking in the park hand in hand with Chaeyoung, and the brightest smile on Lisa's face.

She looked so much happier without him by his side

She looked so much happier without him by his side. It sinks in Seojun's head that he was the reason for Lisa's heartbreak and only gave her reasons to cry and the cause of why she runs out of patience. Even if he knows that he left a gaping hole in Lisa's heart, he's still lost in the thought of her and Lisa together and that they'd end up working things out. Lisa was the one for her, the only person he could see her future with and he regrets every second he let her go.

"Maybe it's too late to bring things back." He mumbles by himself, he thinks that whatever he says or do to try and fix things might never be enough to return to the past.

"Maybe next time Seojun." He again mumbles to himself. Today was just not his day.

He stayed in his place just looking at how happy the two girls were. Even if Lisa's happiness was not caused by him, he was still satisfied seeing her happy. At least seeing her happy had calmed his heart. He briefly wonders if he should just go to them and give them the picnic basket so that it won't go to waste at least but that thought was broken when his phone rings.

Looking at the name of the caller, he thinks maybe Joohyun was just excited to ask if Lisa liked the food she made so he didn't answer for she didn't want to disappoint her sister knowing that he wasn't even able to talk to the girl. Not even a minute had passed but her sister called again and his heart sinks and a nervous feeling started creeping in.

"Noona?" He asks.

The line on the other end speaks put a jumble of words but it doesn't seem to sink in Seojun's ears. It's as if all he could hear were white noise and that everything in his surroundings had stopped. The little bit of happiness in him shattered like broken glass and the piece of sanity he built so hard had come crashing down. Minguk's crying from the phone had brought him back to reality and so he said, "I'm coming."

He stood abruptly and ran towards his bike lightning fast even forgetting the picnic basket he was so excited about and drives to Seoul National University Hospital. Lisa was the last thing on his mind right now. His thoughts were a blur and all he could think of was that he hoped he would still be able to reach there in time.