Essence Of Us.

I sat in front of my vanity, attempting many different hairstyles and failing miserably.

Perhaps it was because I was distracted, my nerves getting the best of me.

I knew I had nothing to worry about.

Professor Blake has assured me multiple times that my piece is the best he's seen, and that people will love it.

Truthfully speaking, I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not I think my piece will be successful.

It was the fact that there were going to be a lot of people observing it, potential investors or employers. And most of all, Hero.

If he decided to show up, he'd be showing his face in public. He'd be putting himself at risk of exposure, especially if people connected my piece to him.

A wave of regret flows through me, wondering if I should have used him in the first place.

But he was my muse.

He was the reason I was becoming a better, more confident artist.

I wanted the world to see it, and most importantly, I wanted people to understand it.

There's a soft knock on my door, and I tell Khadijah to come in.

"How's it going?"

"Stupid." I growl, slamming my curling iron down on the vanity.

"Anything I can do?" She offers, moving to stand behind me.

I ponder this for a moment. "Can you... make me... I don't know..."

"Look like a girl?"

"Fuck off." I huff.

"Do you want me to?" Khadijah sincerely asks.

I nod without hesitation. "Yes."

She picks up my brush and begins to gently run it through my hair before taking the curling iron to it.

Even after everything with Hero and Alex, I'm glad that we managed to stay friends. It was a bit tense at first, I will admit. But I was happy to still have a friend in her.

But worry began to flush over my face as I remember I had something important to discuss with her. Something that might pull us apart.

"Khadijah?" I say, looking at her through my mirror.

"Hmm?"

"Um, well... I just wanted to let you know that Hero has asked me to keep some clothes at his place... and that I'll probably be spending more time there..."

She stops for a moment, removing the iron from my hair. I watch as Khadijah tries to process what I just told her, but she simply shakes her head in confusion. "Wait what?"

I open my mouth to repeat myself, but she stops me.

"Hero has a place? Since when?"

"It's complicated." I say.

Khadijah frowns before starting to curl my hair once again. "So, you're like... moving out?"

"No, I'll still live here... I'll be back and forth."

"But mostly there?"

"Why does it matter?" I try not to sound too harsh. "Alex is here almost every other day!"

"I don't know Jo." Khadijah huffs. "I've been through so many roommates, and I don't have many girlfriends. Cami has been a-wall, and truth is she's never really been a friend. I just... don't want to lose you."