Killing Me Softly.

"Are you okay?" Khadijah asks me for what seems like the hundredth time since we've gotten to Delilah's.

I break my stare away from this couple who took the liberty of putting on a public display of affection in the middle of a crowded place.

I can't stand people sometimes.

Moreover, I can't stand couples.

How do people look at themselves knowing they put out like that in front of people?

"I'm fine." I grumble before I take a sip of my coffee.

Alex and Khadijah look at each other before looking back and me.

"Really? Because the past few days you've seemed off. Like, more of a bitch than you usually are." Khadijah says, laughing slightly after I shoot her a glare. "Sorry."

"I'm just... stressed." I say, which isn't entirely a lie.

Hero definitely adds to my stress.

"Hmm... maybe you need a girl's night!"

"We always have girls' nights." I groan.

"Oh, come on Jo, you need to get out and get your mind off of whatever has been bothering you." Khadijah insists.

"I agree." Alex says, and I narrow my eyes at him.

He and I both knew what was really bothering me, but I made him swear not to say anything to Khadijah or I'd chop his nuts off in his sleep.

"Please?" Khadijah says, pressing her hands together and pouting her lips.

I roll my eyes, knowing she wouldn't give up unless I gave in. "Fine."

***

"Would you fucking hurry up?" I groan. "I've got places to be."

That was a damn lie.

I had nowhere to be really. I just hated to be kept waiting.

The scrawny looking man child pushes his glasses farther up the bridge of his nose before beginning to rip the cushions off the couch. "I swear I had the money right here. I don't know what the fuck happened to it."

Part of me wants to feel bad for how nervous I was making this kid, but then I realize that's exactly what Jo would want.

She'd want me to feel bad about myself and the life I've chosen.

God, I hated her.

She was such a pain in the ass.

But let me tell you, it felt so good to put her in her place a few nights ago.

I finally had her where I wanted her.

I could feel her body trembling as I held my stance over her.

Her breath was coming out in irregular puffs and her face was completely flushed.

Her blue eyes nearly black from how dilated her pupils were.

I had to keep myself from kissing her.

I wanted to so badly.

No matter how much she got on my nerves, her ability to bring me to my knees if she commanded began to triumph over me.

She was becoming an obsession, and I wanted to play her game.

I wanted to know all of her deepest, darkest secrets.