He steps back, and my gaze drifts to the dead leaves by my feet.

I hug my bare middle. Why couldn't Jacob be here instead of this vampire? There were many tearful nights when Mom passed on. Jacob was always there for me, especially when times were tough. I need him now more than ever.

Rahlan holds out an apple for me to take, but my gaze lingers on the leaves below. The bald vampire's words play over and over again in my head – 'slave, pathetic, lucky to be alive'. I've never felt so low.

I watch the leaves dance in the wind. My sobbing dies down as time passes. The forest is peaceful, a beautiful place untouched by man or vampire.

"Do you have the strength to stand?" Rahlan asks.

I rise up on shaky legs. His hands snap to my side to help me up, and I cringe at the feeling of his cold fingers on my skin.

He quickly steps back, noticing my discomfort. He gestures for me to follow him.

The leaves crunch under our feet as we continue north through the forest. My stomach aches from the fresh assault, and we've adopted a slower pace to compensate. He took the bag instead of forcing me to carry it, and he left my arms free. Maybe he thought I'd lose it if he bound me now.

It plays over and over in my head. That man. That place. Rahlan.

"How could you do that?" I spit, "Was kidnapping me, beating me and leeching my blood not enough?"

His gait doesn't falter. He's not bothered.

"You're a monster," I mumble under my breath.

He grabs my arm, forcing me to my toes. "Grow up. You're a slave. I couldn't care less."

I return his glare. His eyes run up and down my body, before letting me back on the ground.

* * * * * * * *

The forest opens up to badlands with rolling rocky hills. Night falls, and we stop at a small cave. I take the nearest rock as my seat, not wanting to spend another minute standing. We've been walking over sharp rocky hills for hours, and my feet are killing me.

He unrolls his sleeping pouch but makes no effort to start a fire. I begin collecting kindling off the ground, figuring I'll need it more than him. Sticks and dry leaves are few and far between in this desolate place.

"There'll be no fire tonight," he says.

"I'll build it myself," I say without pausing my search.

He grabs my arm, making the kindling fall to the ground. "No fire."

"Why?"

He clenches his jaw, annoyed that I question him. "It draws attention."

Just like the candle's flame drew him to me. I rip my arm away from him and find a nook in the cave wall.

The temperature is rapidly dropping due to the absent sun, and the cold air nips at my exposed skin. I lean against the rock and hug my abdomen to try retain some heat. I'm in nothing but a bra, shoes and underwear. My knees curl up close, and I rub my sides up and down.

"Why do you do that?" Rahlan asks from his fluffy sleeping pouch.

"To warm myself up."

"Is it working?"

I ignore his taunt and nudge further into the rock.

"Come here," he says, sitting up right.

I approach with one arm holding the other. Am I in trouble?

"Get in."

What?

He pulls up the edge of the sleeping pouch, making room for me beside him.

I hesitate. His hand holding it open reveals its white fluffy wool. It looks warm, soft and cozy. I bite my lip and eventually convince myself to crawl inside.

I've never felt bedding like this, soft as a kitten's fur. It must've cost a fortune.

There's barely enough room for the both of us, and he takes up the large majority. His leather coat is pressed up against the length of my body. I'm a little squashed, but it's incredibly warm in here. I snuggle deeper into the pouch, bringing the rim up to my nose. This is nice.

It begins to dawn on me that I'm snuggling up against my captor. The thought would've petrified me a few days ago. Though he's not reluctant to beat me, he has never attacked me in my sleep. I suppose I trust him a little.

He said he doesn't care about me, but he's sharing his pouch, and he changed his mind about selling me. It's been on my mind for hours.

"I was just wondering... why did you come back?" I ask.

The night is silent, no insects chirp in this rocky place.

"I heard you," he finally says.

That wasn't what I meant, but his reluctance to answer makes me refrain from prodding further.