My gaze ended up in the mirror.

I was still unhealthily skinny, it's like my body refused to put on weight. My skin clung to my bones, at least the dresses I wore would hide all of this. I couldn't even see the progress, except the return of colour in my skin.

I shook it off, I didn't need that today.

When I opened up the door, Maddox was already on the bed, his jacket and tie slung uselessly on the back of a chair,

"Better?" He inquired with an eyebrow raised.

"A million times better," I confirmed, "Sorry I was getting mad,"

"No please, it was adorable it was like being yelled at by a mouse," Maddox admitted, holding back a laugh.

"Har har," I deadpanned, walking over and sitting don on the bed at his feet.

"You did very well, I'm proud of you," Maddox said sincerely, 

"No, I didn't, I barely said a word," I rolled my eyes,

Maddox held up a finger, "No, you definitely did. I remember because I was proud of you. You may not see your progress dove, but I do. Months ago you couldn't even talk to me, sit next to me without shaking. Trust me, did you even notice that all six of them had their teeth on full display? I saw that shift while we were driving and you didn't even make a sound. At this point, the mate bond has gotten rid of the majority of the fear you feel, now, the only thing you fear is the fear that I'll shift, you'll see me in the purest form of wolf and you'll still be scared."

"Maybe you're right," I whispered, "Maybe we should put it to the test,"

His eyes widened, "What do you mean?"

"Shift," I said confidently, my voice not even wavering. "I've already met your wolf, I just haven't met... your wolf. If you think I'm ready, then perhaps it's worth a shot."

He seemed almost speechless, "Are you sure?"

I ignored the steadily increasing beat of my heart, "Yes."

I stayed on the bed as Maddox hesitantly stood up. He fumbled with his buttons, carefully sliding each one out of the hole before pulling his shirt off in entirety. Then he began to loosen his belt,

"Wait what are you doing?"

"I need to change? If I shift with my clothes still on then they'll split. Unfortunately, this is quite a nice pair of pants." He said, eyes twinkling.

"Look, maybe I'll just turn around," I insisted, slightly embarrassed.

I changed my position, swinging my legs onto the bed and then spinning so I was facing the opposite side of the room. My face got redder with every tick of the clock. I was waiting and waiting and waiting. I saw something in the corner of my eye, ball of dark brown hair. I didn't move, my head facing forward.

I could see him walking forward, coming around the corner of the bed. I closed my eyes, my hands beginning to shake. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Then I felt it, a wet snout against my palm, a head resting on my knee. Then a low whine echoes through the room. I cracked an eye open, and then the other. 

He was big, He was sitting down on the floor with his head crouched, but I knew that when he stood up he would be up to at least my chest. Deep brown hair, lighter strands catching the light. But his eyes were the same, emerald green. My heart slowed down, the shaking stopped, and suddenly, it was like nothing had ever happened. I moved my hand and carefully placed it on top of his head, losing my fingers within his thick fur.