So far, your blush is my favorite

[Copyright © 2013 A Deal with the Daredevil]

All rights reserved.

***

Casey's POV

Most of my life I've tried to keep a positive outlook on things. I've tried to believe that everything happens for a reason. But for fucks sake, out of all the places and all the people, why, oh why, did I have to run in to Makayla Dashwood in Los Angeles? Why couldn't it have been someone I actually liked? Someone who wouldn't try to spill all of my secrets just to hurt me?

I marched over to the elevator, my eyes squinted into angry slits and my hands coiled into tight fists. To bystanders I probably looked like a crazy person, but at the moment, I couldn't give a rat's ass. Surprisingly, I wasn't even mad at Makayla; she was right. How could I be mad at her for being right? That of course, did not mean, she wasn't a bitch, because she was. She was one of the biggest bitches I'd ever met. Makayla could reign hell on a person, destroying their entire life and manage to schedule a manicure while doing it. She was ruthless.

"Casey!" I turned around just in time to catch a glimpse of Nissa's long blonde locks as she rushed towards me, pushing people out of the way. People scowled and glared at her as they were shoved in her process to get to me. Nissa was like a hurricane when any of the people she cared about needed her; she always left a havoc in her wake, trying to get to the person that needed her, and she never seemed to notice. When she finally reached me, she rested her hands on her bent knees and panted for air. Nissa had never been one to exercise or do anything that required physical labor, so running from the beach to the hotel, was putting a lot on her small, short legs.

"I'm fine," I assured her before she could utter a word. She lifted her index finger, letting me know that she needed a minute. Breathing in a lungful of air, she slowly exhaled and repeated the process, trying to slow down her heart rate. I stood there waiting for her, my arms crossed over my chest, my lips pulled back into a tight line. Finally seeming to regain her strength, she straightened and gave me an expectant look. A look I knew all too well. She wanted me to share the gossip.

"It was just Makayla being Makayla." I rolled my eyes and she signaled for me to elaborate.

Pressing the button to go up, on the elevator, I motioned for her to follow me. I wanted to get out of my bathing suit and hop into the shower. I'd just had birds try to eat me for lunch and I was feeling icky.

Once we were on the elevator, we stood on opposite ends, leaning against the sides, quietly. The cheesy elevator music was the only thing that could be heard. I never understood why they played that kind of music in the elevator. Why couldn't they play something along the lines of 'A Day in the Life,' one of my favorite songs by the Beatles? I mean, maybe someone who got on the elevator needed a pick-me-up song.

The elevator dinged as it reached our floor and we both, got off. Once we reached our room, Nissa immediately sat on the bed, crossed her legs, rested her her bent elbows on them and placed her chin between her cupped hands, and waited expectantly. Rolling my eyes with a shake of my head, I sat on the chair across the room and began my story.

"What's really bothering you, Case?" Nissa asked after I'd told her what had happened and complained to her that Makayla had to bring up the diets. Nissa knowing me better than most people, immediately saw through the bullshit. I wasn't upset about her bringing up the diets my mom had insisted I get on, I was upset about the last bit.

"What if she'd over-shared, Nissa? Hmm?" She gave me and small, understanding smile. "What if she'd spilled about what happened in New York?"

"But she didn't," Nissa reminded me, getting up and walking over to sit in the chair opposite mine.