Chapter Twelve: He's One Of Us

I felt my vision return to me, just as the same soft hands I knew too well closed around my shoulders. “Carlisle,” I sighed, and he also sighed in relief that I was alright.

"Are you okay?" he asked me, and I nodded. “We can’t leave you with Seth for one second, can we?” he chuckled. I then remembered Seth. I turned to where he still lay. He was twisting in agony.

“Seth,” I whispered. Carlisle looked over to him, and ran to his side. He placed his hands over Seth’s ribcage.

Rosalie ran to my side, placing her hands on my shoulders. “Are you okay?” She urgently asked, but I waved her away. I was worried about Seth.

Carlisle looked over to us. “Emmett,” he said, and Emmett was by his side in seconds. “We need to get him down to the emergency ward. I can bandage him up properly before his body heals itself in the wrong way,” he said. Emmett nodded and heaved Seth gently over his shoulder. Seth grunted in pain, and I flinched. I hated hearing 

We all stood up and I turned to follow Carlisle and Emmett.

“I’m sorry, El. You cannot be seen here. We will take care of Seth,” Carlisle said, and he and Emmett ran out of sight before I could protest.

I stood for a second, processing everything that had happened. Jasper rested his hand on my arm.

“He’s fine, El. You know how quickly werewolves heal,” he said. But that wasn’t what scared me.

“T-that’s not it,” I whispered. Rosalie and Jasper looked at me. “Gale…”

Rosalie’s eyes thinned. “What happened?” she asked.

Suddenly we heard footsteps approaching.

“No time. Explain at home,” Jasper said, and we left the hospital.

Esme wrapped her arms around me, trying to get me to calm down. It didn’t work; I sat completely frozen, unable to make my face into any emotion.

“Tell us what happened,” she said, hugging me tighter.

All I could say was, “He’s one of us.” Everyone gasped, knowing exactly what I meant.

“Y-you mean…?” Alice whispered.

“Gale,” Jasper finished for her.

I nodded. I gathered enough courage to talk on. “I couldn’t do anything. He tormented me with the story of how he killed my mother. I was so upset I couldn’t stop him from forcing my teeth into his wrist,” I whispered, and put my head in my hands. I wasn’t upset with myself anymore. I was upset with my father. How could he be so heartless?

“And you didn’t suck out all his blood?” Esme asked.

“His blood was horrible. No one as sick as him could have nice blood,” I hissed. I remembered the taste perfectly. It was amazing at first, just like the man from Volterra, but as I remembered who it belonged to, the taste turned foul. How could I drink the blood of someone like him? It was diluted with smoke and alcohol, and his horrid smell had filled my lungs. All of these things combined took away the sweet taste of his blood. “Then he left, just as the transformation started,” I whispered.

“Don’t worry. Seth will be fine," Esme whispered, kissing my head.

“What about us?” Rosalie asked, and Esme shot her a look.

“No, Rose is right. If Gale is out there, who knows what he might do. He was an incredibly strong human, and now he has the strength of a newborn,” I whispered.

Suddenly we heard light, running feet, and a beating heart.

“They’re here,” Jasper confirmed.