Chapter Eleven: Painful Memories Are The Most Vivid

“Do we tell him?” I whispered so quietly to Jasper that no one else could hear.

“No. He will only find out if it is the only alternative,” Jasper mumbled, keeping his eyes focused on Gale.

“Check that the coast is clear. You will know if I need you,” I whispered, and Jasper nodded before turning and walking at a human pace down the hall.

Gale stared at us with suspicion.

I forced myself to smile, and his eyes lit up as he noticed how beautiful I was. I stepped closer to him, and Seth followed.

“You're beautiful,” Gale sighed. He looked at Seth. “Who’s your body guard?” he asked, with a smirk.

“Seth,” growled Seth. I could tell that he was holding himself back. Any step out of line and he would phase and rip Gale’s head off.

Gale looked down at our joined hands. “…More than friends?” He asked, and I nodded. He paused before spreading his arms wide, as in invitation for an embrace. I looked at Seth before stepping forward again and wrapping my arms around my father’s skinny body. I was right; he smelt like smoke and alcohol, and he was very dirty. I felt his body tense at my temperature.

“You… are… beautiful,” Gale sighed, and drew away from me. “So grown up. So sophisticated,” he smiled. “I can tell that my methods paid off.”

My grasp broke away from his, and I stepped back, linking my hand in Seth’s. “What?” I whispered, an edge on my voice.

Gale looked shocked from hearing my different voice, but carried on. “My methods of discipline - I can tell that they worked.”

Seth growled beside me. 

“You killed my mother, nearly killed me, made me mute for life, and made me have horrifying illusions about you in my sleep. What on earth has that got to do with discipline?” I whispered, trying to emphasize the fact that I couldn’t speak.

He stared at me, and I saw a tear roll down his cheek. “I… I was drunk. I didn’t know it would have such an effect on you. After finding that letter-”

“I was five when I wrote that. I was young, and terrified. I couldn’t turn to anyone. No one wanted to be my friend at school, and no one ever came round the house. The only person I knew well enough to tell them was you, and I couldn’t exactly go running to you,” I hissed, and I felt Jasper by my side.

“Calm,” he mumbled in my ear, but I couldn’t control myself. Fear, anger and pain surged inside of me. I felt Jasper’s power as he tried to settle my nerves.

“Why were you scared?” Gale snarled back at me, his eyebrows pulling together in anger.

“Because you were drunk! I watched as you beat my mother to the ground, and then went to bury her bleeding body in the garden. I watched as you tried to cover the bloodstains on the carpet. You killed her!” I whispered, and my eyes started to burn. I only noticed that I had slid into a crouch when Seth bent down and wrapped his arms around me, trying to pull me back up. I leant my head on his shoulder, and saw the sparkle of tears down his cheeks. Of course, he had never experienced anything like that before in his life. He didn’t know what it would feel like to have your mother killed by your father.

Gale stood, frozen on the spot. “W-what?” he whispered, trying to remember what I had. His face drooped when he remembered. “How did you remember that?” he said. It was over fifteen years ago, after all.

“The most painful memories are the most vivid,” I quoted what Carlisle had told me.

Gale stood for a second, deciding his next move. He suddenly leapt at me, and I pushed Jasper and Seth away from me. If Gale wanted to fight, we would. He crashed into me, barely knocking me off balance. He fell to the floor, but shot up when he realized what had happened. He shot his fist out, but I caught it in mid-air. He flinched under the pressure I had applied, but I hadn’t broke it. He tried to trip me up, but his ankle twisted around my leg. He flinched in pain again, gripping his ankle. I hadn’t broken that either.