Chapter Six: Special Ability

I rolled a metal pen around in my hands while I watched Titanic with Alice and Jasper. I’d never seen it before, but the idea of taking 3 and a half hours for a ship to sink seemed boring to me. Alice and Jasper were curled up together on one side of the cream coloured sofa, while I sat at the other end. The pen was changing shape in my hands as it rolled between my fingers. It was taking a more round shape. It must have been my new strength as a newborn. I watched the pen as every time I focused my mind on it, it began to take a new shape. My new strengths fascinated me. I focused my mind harder on it, and it changed shape so much that the ink cartridge slipped out the end. The metallic colours of the pen mixed, and the features of it blended into one round ball. I smiled. It was amazing. I pinched one edge of it, and a razor sharp point was made. With my mind, I flattened the point, and the metal pen turned back into a complete sphere again.

I looked up to see Jasper staring at me as if I had killed someone.

“What?” I whispered, more edge to my voice than intended.

“Do that again,” he said, ignoring my harshness.

“Do what?”

Jasper looked down at the ball of metal in my hand. I also looked down at it, and copied what I had just done. Alice and Jasper gasped.

“Carlisle,” Alice called. What had I done? Carlisle was downstairs in a second, and he came into the room. “Elora can…” Alice began, still staring at me. Carlisle looked down at me.

“What?” I whispered again, annoyed now. I gripped the ball of metal harder in my hand, and I made finger dents in it.

“The ball… wasn’t it a pen?” Jasper asked. I nodded. I looked down at the ball, and I concentrated on it. They all drew in breaths as it molded back into the shape of the pen. I popped the ink cartridge back in it.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t go defacing your things,” I whispered, but Carlisle shook his head in amazement.

“That’s not what Jasper means. Elora, you can bend metal.” 

I stared at Carlisle. I could bend metal. “W-what?” I stuttered.

“Are you sure Carlisle?” Jasper asked, keeping his eyes focused on me.

“It is the only explanation I can think of. There was Benjamin, from the Egyptian Coven, whose power was Atmoskinesis. He could physically manipulate the four main elements. Perhaps her power is similar to his,” Carlisle told him, deep in thought.

“…But is it possible?” Alice asked.

“I’m not sure. I will have to look into it. Have you seen anything?” he asked her.

“Yes, I saw that something big was going to change in El. Could this be it?”

Carlisle nodded. “You have an amazing power, Elora. Use it well,” he said to me, smiling. I smiled back, and could feel the buzz of excitement inside me.

“El,” Jasper warned, and I tried to settle myself. I couldn't let myself lose control twice in one day.

“You will need to train your power, to make sure you can control it. I think Emmett has been waiting to train you for some time,” Carlisle said.

“I’ll join you,” Jasper said, confirming it. Suddenly Emmett appeared at the bottom of the stairs, a wide grin on his face.

“I knew you’d come through,” he said, grinning wider. He must have been eavesdropping on our conversation.

“So, El. Let’s get you warmed up,” Emmett grinned. He was obviously enjoying this too much. Jasper chuckled. “Give me all you’ve got.” Emmett said, opening his arms wide as if he was being executed. I smiled.

I dug me heel into the ground, and ran as fast as I could towards him. I reached him within a second, and will all my strength, I rammed into him. It didn’t hurt me at all, but I heard the air escape from Emmett’s lungs. He dug his heel into the ground for support, and closed his arms around me. Effortlessly lifting me off the ground, he flung me over his head, and I flew through the air. Wind whistled past my ears and I hit the ground with a graceful thud. I tried to land balancing my weight and it worked perfectly. I looked up to grin at Emmett, but he was already speeding towards me. His arms closed themselves around my waist and he threw me like a frisbee. My fingertips skimmed across the damp forest floor and they gripped a tree trunk. I skidded to a halt, but the tree ripped out of the ground. I took it as a weapon, aiming and throwing it at Emmett. In midair, Emmett grabbed the tree and aimed at me. Suddenly Jasper ran to us, and positioned himself in between us.

“That’s enough practical. Shall we get to the technical side before someone rips of someone else’s head?” he asked, smiling at us both. We gathered in a circle on the damp ground, closer to the house this time.

“That was fun,” Emmett said, giving me another grin.

“El, your tactics were mainly strength. Only the worst vampires focus on strength,” Jasper said giving Emmett a look. Emmett nudged his brother. I nodded. My strength would eventually become weaker. “Try to focus on your surroundings more. The trees are a good weapon, if you know how to use them.” I nodded again, mentally jotting down notes. “You also need to use your power. You’re gifted enough to be givena valuable one, so why not use it?” He nodded towards the garage, where a pile of scrap metal lay outside it.

“Bring it on!” Emmett boomed, standing up. Jasper and I also stood up.

“Remember, surprise is your best weapon. It’s why Edward is so good. He can hear what the enemy is planning their head before they attack.” Jasper said to me as Emmett and I took our positions. Bring it on. I thought, a smile on my face.

Emmett lunged at me, his hands stretched forward, ready to grab me. I just managed to escape his grasp, but as he stopped, he took hold of my ankle. I ducked in between his legs, his hand following, and his body flipped over. I ran. I wanted to be close the garage before I tried to use my power. Emmett’s hand brushed across my back to grab me, but I suddenly stopped, and he skidded past me.

I didn’t know what to do, or how to do it, I just had this feeling. It was like my body knew what to do, but my mind didn’t. My body was trying to teach my mind. My hand shot out, palm facing the garage. I focused my mind on the pile of scrap metal and a fraction of it melted into a solid dagger. I looked at Emmett, but he was already charging towards me. As soon as the dagger had solidified, it shot through the air towards me. My hand closed around it, and I held it out just before Emmett stopped in front of me. I had the dagger to his throat.

Momentarily realizing that cutting his throat would be pointless, I lowered the dagger. Could it even pierce his tough skin? I poked his bare shoulder with it, but strangely, it didn’t bend. I poked harder, and it cracked Emmett's tough skin.

“…Ow,” he mumbled, just as confused as I was. The crack slowly disappeared as it healed.

Jasper was by my side in an instant. “Did it… pierce your skin?” he asked Emmett. He nodded. We all stood for a moment, too shocked to speak.

“But I thought metal wasn’t tougher than a vampire’s skin.” I whispered.

“It isn't. Give it to me,” Jasper commanded, and I handed it to him. He held out his arm, and tried to stab himself. Instead, the point of the dagger bent over. His eyes widened. “Amazing,” he breathed. "El, focus your mind on it, and this time try to make it pierce my skin."

My eyes thinned as I concerntrated on the dagger, and when Jasper tried to stab himself, his skin cracked. It healed within seconds.

“Elora, not only can you bend metal with your mind, but you can give it the strength to penetrate anything!”