Chapter Nine: Werewolves Hate Vampires

I opened my eyes, partially blinded by the light shining through the flying past trees. I knew I could run. I knew I could do anything, but the light grip that Carlisle had me in made me feel safe. I flinched as the vivid images of what had happened flashed past my eyes. Carlisle must have felt me, because he looked down.

“You know, it’s not normal for a vampire to close their eyes,” he said, smiling at me.

“Out of old habit,” I whispered, smiling back. I felt my face for where there should have been the crack, but it had completely gone.

“Vampires heal quite quickly,” Carlisle said, answering my thoughts. 

“Has Jane ever used her power on you?” I whispered, my voice quieter than usual.

He shook his head.

“It was worse than the transformation. Worse than anything. It was like someone had set fire to me, and all the toxic gases were trapped under my skin,” I whispered.

Carlisle faintly smiled. “That’s exactly what Edward told me, when he witnessed her power,” he said.

I suddenly picked up the smell of a human, and my head jolted towards it.

“We are near the house. That will be Renesmee. She was in tears when she found out what had happened to you,” Carlisle said. “We’ve tried to get her to leave, but she refuses too.”

“I’m alright,” I whispered.

“Can you stand?” he asked me. I was disappointed to leave his comfortable grip, but I dropped down from his arms anyway. I stood bolt upright, and ready to run. The others stopped.

“Are you sure we shouldn’t ask her to leave?” Alice asked.

“I’m sure that if I can focus on her vampire smell, I will be alright,” I whispered. I was positive I could do it this time. I was determined to be in the presence of a human and not drink their blood.

Carlisle opened the door for us, and we all walked in. The rest of the family was sitting on the sofas in the lounge, and all their faces lit up when they saw us.

“I-I’m so sorry, to all of you,” I whispered, but Esme jumped up and wrapped her arms around me.

“I don’t care what you did. You are my daughter, and I love you,” she whispered. I was her daughter. I smiled. She pulled me over to one of the sofas, and sat down next to me. The others all sat down, staring at me.

“Should I start with an explanation, or the apologies?” I asked.

“Explanation,” Emmett said.

“I went to the Volturi, and… I sort of… on the way there…” I didn’t know how to phrase it.

Carlisle rested his hand on my shoulder. “No one is angry at you for what you did. Nearly all of us have attacked a human before. It is just in our instincts,” he said.

I nodded. “They found me and Seth, and took us to the Volturi. They didn’t let Seth in, but Aro asked me if I wanted to join. He said that you would be upset with me, and all I needed to do was give you space,” I looked up into Carlisle’s golden eyes, and felt like I had the first time I had woken up in the hospital. I felt like he could keep me safe, and could fix all the broken pieces of my life. He did.

“If there’s anything that I need, it’s a family, and I already have it,” he said, smiling.

“I showed Aro my power, and he seemed amazed by it. I don't want to know what went through his head when I showed it to him. Seth got annoyed, and I tried to calm him down. He tried to attack Caius, so I tried to block him. Caius pulled me away and Seth left. I guess he had told the whole thing to you, but in a different way,” I whispered, smiling. “Where is Seth?” I asked, suddenly puzzled by his absence.