Prologue

It was my 15th birthday. I was so happy, but my parents were scared. Even my friends were scared, but I decided not to think about it on my birthday.

It is the year 3500, and we're the only inhabited country left. All of the other countries were flooded or burnt down. Overpopulation is becoming big, so the government decided to create a certain system.

You get a shot when you're 6 years old, the shot contains a certain substance which will eventually, on your 15th birthday, show whether you are going to be sent to a "special school" or not. When you turn 15 you get a circle with a certain colour on your wrist, green or red. Green meaning that you're fine and red meaning that you have to go to the "special school."

Of course, nobody really believes that those people are going to the "special school", some people were supposed to turn 50 this year and still haven't returned. Rumours have been going around ever since this system has been created, some people say that those people have been sent to another planet, other people say that they have been blatantly killed.

Some people say that it's all about the genes, so if both your parents were green you are going to be green as well. All of my friends' parents were green and so are my friends, I am the youngest in my friend group, so that is probably the biggest reason why my parents are so scared.

Not because I'm going to get my circle, 

but because they are both green.

They are scared that I'm going to get a red circle and ruin the family tradition.