40. Coming Closer

After freshening up, Maaz sat down on the armchair next to the bed, adjusted the night lamp and picked up a file

After freshening up, Maaz sat down on the armchair next to the bed, adjusted the night lamp and picked up a file. He wanted to go through everything again. It was something unimaginable for him to sit and do in free time. He shivered as the thought of becoming Rashid Part two crossed his mind.

'Urgh!' He exclaimed. Nevertheless, he sat with his file and didn't realize when he dozed off.

Maaz was jolted from his sleep when a musical note rang on his mobile, his ringtone. He straightened on the chair, picked up the file from his lap and tossed it on the bed. He blinked at the screen and found Anaya's name flashing on the screen. He assumed she wanted to talk about work. But he was in for a surprise when she requested, awkwardly and timidly, for his company at the poolside. As he nodded in a daze, he pinched his wrist to make sure he wasn't dreaming.

Anaya: Maaz?

Maaz hurriedly brought the phone to his ears and smiled, - 'Of course.' He replied.

Anaya sat along the poolside; her legs dipped till her knees. She splashed the water with her legs while staring at the water ripples and reminiscing the whole day. At times, she thought of Maaz and his childishness and smiled. She hadn't imagined she would enjoy his company. It was strange at first when she called him, requesting to spend some more time with him. The irony was she had decided to keep the distance from him but now, his proposition of getting to know each other before the—her smile faded.

'Hey.' She heard an enthusiastic greeting as Maaz sat beside her. He had his blue trousers lifted till his knees. He also dipped his legs in the water and shivered for a moment. He looked at her and smiled.

'See, even you can't escape my charm.' He teased her. Anaya smiled looking away, she moved away a strand of hair that stuck to her cheek and looked back at him.

'You can call that.'

Maaz smile dropped as he looked at her, - 'You seem upset. Something bothering you?' He asked whilst looking concern.

'I was just wondering if it is right to—you know to get close before separating?' She asked. Maaz moved back a little. This was something that ran through his mind as well. He shrugged looking away from her for a moment before looking back.

'I don't know,' – he sighed, - 'but whatever happens in the future, let us cherish the days left with us. Better than separating with bitter memories. Also,' – he smiled, - 'we can remain friends after getting divorced as well.'

Anaya relaxed her shoulders, letting a sigh escape her mouth. She looked at him and smiled nodding in approval of his thoughts.

There was a pause and then Maaz spoke, - 'Did you sign those papers? We will have to meet Imam Junaid in this matter. I mean, what to do next?' He said. A sinking feeling appeared again as Anaya recollected Maaz giving those papers to her.

She shook her head and spoke without meeting his gaze, - 'No, not yet.' Her "No" had given him hopes but it was shattered by her "yet". In response, he could only nod.