38. Judged too quickly

Mehnaz stood at the mirror and combed her hair

Mehnaz stood at the mirror and combed her hair. A dreamy look on her face as she admired her reflection. She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice her husband sneak from behind and hug her.

'Oh!'

'Hey, beautiful.' He whispered and rubbed the tip of his nose on her cheek. Mehnaz giggled, placing her palms over his arms.

'Atif, Alia will come.' She flushed a playful smile on her lips. Atif leaned back and exhaled then leaned towards her.

'She is with her grandfather—and finally, we are together and,' – his voice dropped, - 'alone, at last.' He held her arms and turned her to face him.

'In a few days' time,' – Atif held her arms firmly, - 'is our wedding anniversary. It is going to be 8 years since we got married. Still,' – he admired her while tugging her hair with his finger, Mehnaz lowered her gaze, - 'it feels like yesterday. Still, I am in love with you like I was in our first year of marriage.' He smiled placing his finger under her chin and lifted her face.

Mehnaz closed her eyes, a smile lingered on her lips. Atif kissed her forehead and tilted his head and leaned closer. Before they could kiss, they were startled by the dropping of a flower vase.

'Who is it?' Mehnaz said in a panic voice. Atif was irritated.

'Let it be.' He said and held her cheek but Mehnaz moved his hand away and insisted to check on the sound.

She stepped out of the room and looked around. Two maids just arrived to clean the mess. She walked to them and stood next to them. The maid kneeled, collecting the pieces of a porcelain vase. She asked them and one of the maids looked up at her. Mehnaz was surprised and worried to know it was her mother. She wondered what was troubling her so much. Quickly, she walked towards Zainab's room.

Mehnaz opened the door to her mother's room and found Zainab pacing in the room. She kept furiously murmuring something under her breath, oblivious to her daughter's presence. Mehnaz frowned and slowly entered the room. Cautiously, she closed the door behind her.

'Mom!' She called softly. Zainab stopped in her tracks and turned to look at her. Mehnaz walked towards her.

'Are you okay?' She asked while eyeing her mother. Zainab sighed and walked towards a single sofa.

'I can't tolerate that girl anymore.' She whined lifting and dropping her arms, then she rested her hand on the armchair, leaned placing one leg over the other. Mehnaz looked at her mother placed her palm on her forehead.

'Who, mom?'

'That An—Annie.' Zainab replied with her eyes closed. Mehnaz bit her smile and corrected her,

- 'Anaya.'

'Yeah, whoever.' Zainab opened her eyes and leaned forward, - 'Maaz had promised me to divorce her soon,' – she ignored her daughter's gasp and continued, - 'but why is he taking so long. I know it has been just a few weeks yet—I am running out of patience.'- she slammed her hands on the arm-chair and stood up, - 'I can't waste much time. That girl, she is very clever. Bloody gold digger—what if she is a seductress and she manipulates my poor innocent son and, and—'