04 | Calm Before The Storm

Chapter Four
Jayce Mirella

Leon and his mother hadn't said anything as they left Blue's apartment, but they didn't have to because their actions spoke volumes when they showed up the next day with a man dressed in a fancy black suit.

Blue was cradling baby Violet in her arms when she opened the door for Leon, his mother and a man who held a brown leather briefcase in his right hand. They didn't have the courtesy to acknowledge her and without wasting anytime, Leon's mother grabbed — more like snatched — Violet out of Blues grasp.

Shocked, Blue had yelled at her and reached to grab her baby but Leon prevented her from doing so despite how the hot tears streamed down her face. The man introduced himself as their lawyer, and I clenched my hand into fists without restraint until my knuckles had turned a shade lighter than my normal warm brown complexion as I heard him tell Blue that she no longer had custody of her own baby.

When Blue demanded to know why, Leon had brought out his phone and showed her familiar pictures and videos of her smoking weed and engaging in other very much illegal activities with the involvement of drugs.

The smug look on his mother's face had been disgustingly apparent on her face as she said that she was unfit to be a mother and had no problem taking this to court with the claims that Blue still had a substance abuse problem when those same pictures and videos were taken a year before she had Violet and a year before she got clean because she wanted to pretend to be the 'perfect little girlfriend' for Leon who seemingly had the best life with his expensive car, big house and amazing education.

Who would believe Blue if this was taken to court? Who would be on her side? She didn't have the money for a lawyer nevertheless a good lawyer so she would be fighting a losing battle because the justice system sucks, and they play favorites but was that truly a surprise?

The lawyer didn't have to say anything, but stand there in his luxurious suit knowing that his presence, his very demeanor was enough to put Blue in her 'place.' The words that had come out of Leon's mouth would always make anger brew within me, my teeth grinding against each other as my nails dug into the palm of my hand.

"If you ever come to see my baby, I will show this to the police and I will make sure that you are arrested. I can't believe you thought you'd be good enough for anyone including your own child."

The obnoxious laughter that followed his words said 'hello, how are you' to me as it kindly drove me to the edge, and I carelessly embraced the greeting as I jumped off the cliff and launched myself at the self absorbed, no lip having ass, red hair Chucky look alike mother fucker without restraint. Blue firmly caught me by my elbow before my fist could give his face the warmest welcome that he would ever receive. Rodney Brown Junior could attest to that. She knew better than I had that his mother would never legally let me off the hook for hurting her son, Blue knew they'd press charges against me for assault thus she had held me back with all of her strength no matter how much she wanted to witness me screwing up that face of his.

When they left, Blue broke down. Seeing her break down like that reminded me of when my dad died, it was the moment when I knew that I had lost something that meant the world to me and kept me going. It had been in that moment that I felt anger towards everything and could only see red, but the anger and sadness had made me feel the most helpless.

I could see all of it in her eyes, and it made me break down with her. Maybe it was because it reminded me of myself or maybe it was the fact that I was reminded once again that life is unfair, and the people who are supposed to help and give victims justice are the same people that are taking away the very thing people like Blue and I have been stripped away from.