Day twenty-one: Yellow beauty

Yellow beauty

Yellow bird beauty

Your voice pure, enticing me

Heaven in my ear.

This morning, walking the Little Prince to school, I heard this wonderful sound. It was a pair of yellow birds, with some black feathers. Their song was melodious, enticing indeed. After looking a bit on the Internet, I think these were black-naped Oriole…

There are a bunch of interesting birds, and other animals here. So many of the feathered animals are coming here to bread, you can see the little ones taking their first fly, growing until they are independent enough to follow their parents when time comes to leave this land of sun.

Not long ago, I saw a big beast in the water. I thought it was a crocodile, at some point… but it probably was just Monitor (thanks Wikipedia for the info on lizards J). I can’t guaranty the exactitude of the sight, but looking at images on the web, it looks close to this. The lizard (I assume) was slowly swimming, almost unmoving, gliding in the water. It was more than one meter long, seeing as it was still big while getting away from me… that was an impressive sight. Too bad I didn’t have my camera with me.

A couple of months ago, it was a python, about 4 meters long, that was leisurely taking a nap under the sun, on top of a fence, along the road… and not too far from a bus stop.

I do prefer hearing the beautiful songs of even more beautiful birds, however, than meeting with a big snake while waiting for the bus… But this is the beauty of this place, wild animals all over the place, as much as can do in a small red dot where the trees are being cut of slowly but surely, replaced by high-rises… I vote for more animals and less humans…