Chapter 3: The Galactic Council

Sektor V Galactic Chairman Raizor Quintavius was running out of options. The Zetas were moving quickly to implement their plan to eradicate the dominant species of Terra. Some of these efforts were nearing the final stages of implementation. If the Zeta contingent were to be stopped, something had to be done immediately. Quintavius had fully committed to doing everything within his power—and perhaps a few things outside of it—to reverse the potential travesty that was facing the Terran System.

Given his position, it was not appropriate for him to externally lobby any Councilmembers about official Council matters. Zyok Melkaan, the representative from the pacifist Sirrah star system located within the Andromeda constellation knew this as well.

"I know how you feel, Zyok, and I need you to convince the others to call for another emergency session," Quintavius communicated telepathically.

"On what grounds?" asked Senator Melkaan. "The vote was indeed unfortunate but perfectly within the bounds of the Charter. You know this."

"Technically, perhaps, but certainly not within the spirit of its meaning. I cannot accept that you believe the eight missing votes at the last session were a result of simple coincidence. All absentees had strong sympathetic ties with the Humans. With even one of them present, the motion would not have advanced. You know this."

Melkaan actually agreed with the Chairman on this point but decided to maintain a neutral thought profile for the time being.

Chairman Quintavius continued, "Your People will not tolerate the obliteration of a helpless species, especially when the aggressor has clearly rigged the outcome."

"Chairman, you can be removed for representing such a biased position to anyone, let alone a Galactic Councilmember. Moreover, you are covertly advocating a specific course of action. I strongly suggest that you stop before I have no choice but to—"

"To do what, Zyok? We both know Sirrah will not sit by idly as the Terrans are exterminated. The fact that these actions benefit the Reptilian contingent will not sit well with your People. If you choose to stand by idly as this travesty unfolds, your standing will be forever tarnished. More importantly, in the end, you will have to live with this unspeakable carnage for the rest of your days. I know you, and I also know that Sirrah will not tolerate such an outcome. I am willing to help you, my friend. And in fact, there is another way..."

Melkaan said nothing. His silence opened the door a bit wider for Quintavius.

"As you may or may not be aware, the Galactic Charter for Sektor V allows for a re-convening of any emergency Council session when more than three permanent members are not present, for whatever reason."

Quintavius briefly paused to see how Melkaan was taking this in. The Senator's thoughts remained idle.

"From Article 16 Subsection B," Quintavius continued, "it is clear that an active Chairperson cannot unilaterally reconvene an emergency session. However, it is equally clear that a motion to reconvene an emergency session can be called by the Chair if he or she has been formally requested to do so by at least 12 active Councilmembers." He briefly paused for effect. "I am fairly certain that our friends from Zeta Reticulon and Alpha-Draconius are not keenly aware of this somewhat arcane provision, nor do they think I am aware and or would choose to invoke it."

After a moment, Melkaan spoke. "I am still very uncomfortable with this whole discussion, Raizor, especially with a seated Chairman leading the charge in such an unconventional manner. Nevertheless, I do agree that this is a highly irregular situation facing the Council, and I empathize with your current predicament. My people certainly do not want to see such a promising species eliminated, especially one so close to Enlightenment. Even so, I believe your proposal has some serious flaws. For one, even if I were able to garner the necessary Council votes, there is little doubt that the allied Zeta contingency would not remain in the dark regarding such intentions. Furthermore, how would you stop them from attending the reconvened session?"

"Therein lies the beauty. Why should we care? Let them attend. Let them vent steam from their undersized nostrils if that is what they wish to do. With all members present, their amoral outcome will simply be impossible. And this time, I would make certain that at most we have three missing Councilmembers before any official decrees are made. Doing so, as clearly outlined in the Galactic Charter, will permanently eliminate the possibility of any future emergency gatherings related to this particular Terran incident. And while I do not expect the Zetas or any of their allies to celebrate at the likely outcome of our next gathering, I can think of nine billion reasons the rest of us should be overjoyed."