Let Me Introduce You To Your Family

Beginne am Anfang

"Well, welcome back home, Father-in- law," said Miguel, deciding that someone needs to say something to break the tableue. It wouldn't be his husband from the way he was now hiding behind Syrus. All in the hall looked shocked.

Gustavo, however, gave a small smile, surprised.

"Thank you," said Gustavo.

"Oh wait, you are in for mayhem here," said Izabel wiping her eyes desperately as Florentino held her.

"Uncle" gasped Andrew, looking shocked.

"Go on, sit down," said Izabel pushing him to a seat. She then looked at all.

"This is Gustavo Almaraz, I am sure he has a valid explanation," said Izabel and almost snorted at the end. Alexander just stood there with Syrus in his arm, not moving.

Gustavo looked at Alexander and then at all the kids and gave a small smile. All of them, except Alex of course, had tentative smile on their face. Hopeful, yet guarded.

He started speaking and he couldn't stop till he told them everything. He looked at Alexander who was still looking anywhere but at him. He now had Zyren in his other arm as he sat. His two sons, sticking to him like Koalas. Miguel sat beside him.

All kids were now looking at Alexander who was still silent.

"So you thought it's better to stay away?" asked Alexander. Gustavo nodded. Alexander did not say anything for another moment.

Then Alexander introduced his family starting from Miguel. Then, he reached the boys. "I- I adopted them into our family. This is Jules, Ezra, Sage, Athen and Juan," said Alexander.

"Hello," Gustavo greeted them. The kids looked so unsure.

"I am so glad that my family is as big as I wished it to be," said Gustavo. The kids looked up at that and Gustavo gave them a small smile and they smiled back.

-----

The dinner was silent, but Florentino thinks he should thank the son-in-laws of the family. Sensing the unease of the others, they kept the conversation going and engaged in conversation with Gustavo who told them of his travels and efforts.

Miguel noticed Alexander was just picking at his food.

"Syrus, I think your father needs feeding," said Miguel.

Syrus looked at Alexander.

"I am eating, Syr. Come on, we will eat together," said Alexander, moving Syrus after casting an exasperated look at Miguel who snorted. Then Alexander fed Syrus and had food himself, forgetting the pain he was in.

Miguel smiled as he held Zyr close and teased the baby on how much he was like Alexander only to have him give his toothless smile.

-------------

Once it was over, Alexander picked up Zyren from Miguel and took a hold of Syrus and left with his two sons, not looking back. Miguel watched worried.

"Well, at least both of them will keep him occupied. Or he will go insane with thoughts of what could have been," said Miguel slowly.

"He doesn't need to. It was my choice-

Miguel looked at Gustavo, his eyes narrowed.

"You think it is fair? It was not fair. Can you even imagine how hard Alexander must have struggled. I can promise you that without these kids he wouldn't have survived long enough for you to waltz back in and justify it," said Miguel firmly.

Gustavo was taken aback for a moment. This is the Donna and he can see he cares for Alexander in a way he has rarely seen. And this is his son-in-law. He can accept anger from him.

"I must apologise then. But you should know that me apologising would just be redundant," said Gustavo. Florentino placed a calming hand on him. He thinks Florentino looks smug and pretty proud of Miguel.

"Good that you know. Give him some time. You know him, he will come around," said Miguel softly then and looked at Florentino.

They seemed to have a wordless conversation. He was sure that he has seen that kind of conversation back between his mother, his wife and Florentino when he was acting unreasonably. He doesn't think it's him they are talking about but rather them- him and his son.

Gustavo's attention fell on Juan who seem to be talking to Athen and they seemed somewhat confused. He knew he needed to talk to these kids and even make them understand that he considers them his family. But it was too early. They only got to know him. And he them. For a man who has lived as many years as him in exile, a family of this size is a treasure.