Birthday Blues

Living with grandma and grandpa for the weekend wasn't so bad. It wouldn't have been bad if I wasn't woken up by a rooster in the morning. I should've let Rex eat it.

Rex will be the only one I miss. He was my only friend I had at grandma Maddy and grandpa Alex's house. We'd always chase the chickens together.
I think Jay would've liked him if he could come with me here, but he told me he had a dentist appointment on Saturday. So the only friend I had to play with was Rex.

Grandma and grandpa are old so they are really boring, but they do feed me alot and gave me 200 dollars. Well grandma gave me 100 dollars and grandpa gave me 50 dollars but I think grandpa forget he gave me money so he gave me another 50dollars when I got into mom's car. I know it's wrong but this money is going towards the snack fund me and Jay have together.

I got a really sloppy wet kiss on my cheek from grandma and a big bear hug from grandpa before I left.

I'm going to miss this place even though sometimes I smell poo, doesn't have any TV and the sounds of the animals keeping me awake, but sometimes it looks really pretty.

I don't think any other 8year old would want to come live here. I couldn't even order any pizza.

I'm on my way home now and today is my birthday. I think mom forgot it's my birthday because she didn't wish me happy birthday when I got into the car. Maybe dad remembered and he's at home baking a cake right now. Maybe it's chocolate cake with caramel sauce and strawberries. I can almost have the taste in my mouth. Now I'm bouncing around in my seat because I'm thinking of the cake that dad is making. If he's even making it. Maybe he's not home today and had to work like he always does.
Slumping down in my seat I look out of the window.

"Did you have a good time at grandma Maddy and grandpa Alex's house?" mom asks.

Not feeling very happy right now that everyone seemed to have forgotten my birthday I answer her with "it was fine" while still looking out the window.

"are you alright sweety" she asks

"Just tired, I woke up really early this morning." I say with a huge fake yawn.

" oh, was it that old rooster. Oh I remember how it always used to wake me up when I was there" mom said laughing.

"yeah that"

I think she could sense my sour mood because I was probably sitting in pout formation right now. She looked at me for a second when we got to a stop light and frowned a little then turned back.

We kept on driving till I saw a huge KitKat sign that instantly reminded me of Jay. Maybe Jay remembered my birthday. Maybe he was at my house right now waiting outside to wish me happy birthday. Maybe we can go up to my room and play super Mario when I get home. I think that would be the best birthday gift ever.

With sudden hope found I couldn't wait to get home.

The three hour drive turned into two then into one then finally we drove up into our street. I couldn't wait any longer, my hands were on the window with my face pressed to it, just looking out for Jay.

When we drove up to our driveway there was no Jay standing there waiting for me. I slumped a little and got out of the car with my bag.

Maybe he's inside the house waiting for me. Wow I'm so silly I should've thought of that a long time ago.

I ran up to the porch with mom walking behind me. When I opened the door I got inside expecting to see Jay sitting on the stairs. But there was no Jay on the stairs and the house was dark. Maybe everyone did forget my birthday.