Socializing is Hard \\ Cat

Começar do início

Out of nowhere, I felt a hand on my shoulder, and heard a short "hi" from behind me.

Without thinking I spun around, vaulting over the bench and striking blindly at the person that had been standing behind me. Said person sprung backwards in surprise-- but not quite fast enough, because I felt my nails make contact with skin. I fell back into a defence position, my hands clenched into fists with the automatism that came with years of training and experience.

Only then did I pause to see whom I'd attacked, and my eyes widened in surprise.

"Laurens?!?"

Laurens looked like he'd been stunned into shock, holding his hand against his left cheek.

"Cat." he stated, still dazed.

"Laurens!" I repeated, as if that would make the fact that it was really him sink in faster, "I'm so so sorry, it's just that you kind of surprised me, and I didn't realize it was you, and--

Laurens lowered his hand to inspect it, revealing a smudge of blood on his palm and a scratch on his cheek that was bleeding slightly.

"Is that blood?" I exclaimed in surprise, "aw shoot you're bleeding, I'm really sorry, does it hurt? We should get you cleaned up-- arghhh, this is all my fault, I was just so deep in thought and the lantern only made this place creepier and that's not and excuse I know but arghhh I'm so so sorry, I should've thought before just blindly attacking, but I didn't, and now you're hurt, and--"

As I rambled I'd pulled a handkerchief out of one of my pockets, reaching forwards to try and clean the wound. Laurens pulled back with a soft chuckle, finally overcoming the moment of shock and shaking his head with a smile.

"I'm fine Cat, I promise," he reassured me, holding up his hands to keep me from dabbing him with the handkerchief, "it's just a scratch, I barely even feel it."

I bit my lip guiltily, still holding onto the handkerchief.

"You're sure?"

"Absolutely," he answered, and I hesitantly put the handkerchief back into my pockets.

"If you say so."

There was a momentary pause, and then I sat down again on the bench-- facing Laurens, this time.

"Why are you here, anyway?" I frowned.

"I could ask the same of you," he pointed out, "I just happened to be taking an evening stroll when I heard what sounded like a very upset Cat muttering to herself, so I thought I'd see whether I could cheer her up."

He touched the scratch on his cheek, which had stopped bleeding out but was still a dark red.

"I have to say, that did not go the way I thought it would."

I ducked my head, an embarrassed blush heating up my cheeks.

"I'm really sorry," I apologized, "I didn't mean to hurt you. Well I did sort of, but I didn't know it was you, so I--"

"You don't have to apologize, Cat," Laurens chuckled, "This one's on me-- I should've known better than to surprise a skilled warrior."

I dropped my gaze to the floor, a red blush spreading over my cheeks.

"I'm not that skilled."

"You didn't get mortally wounded in a skirmish, that's more than I can say," Laurens smirked.

"Laurens!" I protested, "don't make me scratch you again."

"For what, complimenting you? I'll take it."