11. LISTING KEY SCENES

Once you have a firm grasp on your plot, you can begin to list the key scenes you know you will need for your story. But first, let's take a closer look at scenes. Scenes are an integral and universal part of storytelling and yet, their importance is often overlooked and misunderstood.

Here is the book definition:

SCENE: a sequence of continuous action in a play, movie, opera, or book.

This definition hardly serves any better as far as understanding such a fundamental building block of story. In this chapter, we're going to explore scenes, learning about the different types and their basic structure

TYPES OF SCENES

The two types of scenes are called Scene and Sequel. The names are a little ridiculous and don't actually help much with the confusion surrounding scenes. Scenes and Sequels work together in a circular pattern, with one causing the other, over and over in an infinite loop.

 Scenes and Sequels work together in a circular pattern, with one causing the other, over and over in an infinite loop

SCENE: This is the action part of the pattern. Characters have goals, conflicts create obstacles to those goals, and disaster obstructs the goal completely, changing the course of the story and leading them to the reaction.

SEQUEL: This is the reaction part of the pattern. Characters have reactions to the Scene, process those reactions, and make decisions to adapt, leading them to another action.

Now let's break each type of scene down into its basic structure.

LARGE-SCALE STRUCTURE OF SCENES

SCENE:

1. Goal - A clear goal the character has at the beginning of the scene. What a character wants on a large scale drives your story. What a character wants on a small scale drives your Scene.

2. Conflict - An obstacle or struggle that your character must face while trying to reaching their goal.

3. Disaster - The outcome, usually a failure to meet the goal. This outcome leads directly to your Sequel.