4. NARRATIVE ARC AND THREE ACT STRUCTURE

NARRATIVE ARC

THREE ACT STRUCTURE

THREE ACT STRUCTURE

These are references I will use throughout this guide

Notice how the two perfectly align when stacked together? It's no coincidence. These are probably the most commonly used archetypes in storytelling. And, for good reason. 

Think of it as a map to your story. Everything laid out in a clear and precise arrangement. 

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? 

Because having a map to your story will be invaluable in the days to come. It will help with flow, pacing, and solving plot problems. It paints a clear picture of your story as a whole and your character's journey. Following these guidelines can help show you where your story is lacking and where it's winning. 

It can also help with writer's block. Knowing where your character needs to end up will prevent you from getting stuck. Following your story map can help you to ask the right questions, so you can fill in the gaps in a way that makes sense and leaves your readers feeling fulfilled.

Understanding your character's journey can also help you to find a deeper meaning in your story.

TERMS AND THEIR DEFINITIONS:

EXPOSITION: This is the beginning of your story. Here you will layout the basics. Think who, what, when, where and why. This part should set the mood or tone of the story and introduce key characters and lay the seeds of your conflict.

INCITING INCIDENT: This is the incident that sets the entire story in motion. It is the thing that thrusts the main character out of the comfort of the everyday and into the thick of things. (Sometimes the inciting incident happens before the start of the novel. That's OK, too.) The moment that starts the entire story or chain of events.

RISING ACTION: This is where the plot thickens. Character's relationships deepen, tension grows, problems arise, and our character reacts to these problems. The main conflict is developed. The first pinch point, or twist in the story, usually occurs here.

CRISIS: Turn in the story that creates more problems for the main character and keeps them from achieving their goals. With each crisis, the character will grow or regress a little more, depending on your character arc.

CLIMAX: This is the culmination of all that tension in the book. It is a turning point in the story where the character usually makes a decision or has some sort of altering revelation. The pace is at its fastest here. It is the moment of truth, the peak in the story.

FALLING ACTION: This shows the consequences and reactions as a result of the climax. It is where any loose ends in the story are wrapped up.

RESOLUTION OR DENOUEMENT: This is where the story is wrapped up into a neat little package, complete with a bow. The conflict is resolved and the characters have completed their arcs, for better or worse.

PLOT POINT: A key event in the story that determines what happens next, and which direction the character will go. Gives the character something to react to. Also known as the point of no return because they force the character to move forward in some way.

PINCH POINT: Small twist or turn in the story that reminds of the conflict and keeps the character's goals from being easily achieved.

MIDPOINT: The point, around the middle of the story, where the protagonist moves from reactive to active. Rather than running from their issues, they start to face them head-on. A major turning point that changes the direction of the story. A mirror moment (literally a moment in a scene) where a character looks at themselves introspectively and decides what kind of person they will be, or comes to some kind of internal resolution.

ACT ONE: Act one is the set-up where you introduce the setting, key characters, the conflict, and the stakes. Usually takes up the first quarter of your story.

ACT TWO (FIRST HALF): The first half of act two is where you get into the conflict of your story. Your character is reacting to plot events and trying to adjust to their new situation. This act starts around the 25% mark and ends at the midpoint.

ACT TWO (SECOND HALF): The second half of act two is where the conflict really starts to heat up. Your character is beginning to change and making active decisions to resolve the conflict, confronting the antagonist head-on. This act runs from the midpoint to around the 75% mark.

ACT THREE: Act three is where the final battle or conflict takes place. This is what the entire story has been building up to and tension should be at its greatest. The rest of act three is all about wrapping up any loose ends in the story and giving the reader a sense of resolution. This act typically takes up the last quarter of your story.

NARRATIVE ARC + THREE ACT STRUCTURE