Chapter 7 - Betrayed

"So what do you suggest? Just stay with WCKD?"

"No. I suggest you bring me with you."

The Gladers stare at me in astonishment. "Are you crazy?! That would be a suicide attempt for us. You're part of WCKD," Thomas yells, pointing an accusatory finger at me.

"For your information, I'm not part of WCKD by choice. I was forced to join like you were forced into a Maze." While Thomas and I are arguing, Teresa stands up from the bed and walks over to me. She stops right in front of me, indirectly shielding me from Thomas.

"Kat," she whispers and wraps me in a hug.

"Teresa? Y-you remember me?" She pulls away and nods, tears flowing down her cheeks.  "But how?" She wipes the tears away and pulls me in for another hug.

"They gave me my memories back. I remember everything."

This time, I'm the one that pulls away. "Everything?" Teresa nods, a solemn expression now planted on her face.

"Wait. You remember Katya?" Newt asks, cutting our little reunion short, resentment clear in his voice.

"Yes. We were best friends," Teresa says, looking up and smiling at Newt. I would be lying if I said that I didn't feel a pain in my heart when she looked at him. She was always meant to be with Thomas, and I was always meant to be with Newt. That's just how it was.

Right as the boys are about to bombard Teresa with questions, guards start pounding on the door. "We have to get out of here if you want to escape," I say, turning to look at each person.

"You're right. Thomas, window." Newt grabs a stool and helps Thomas to shatter the window.  Everyone starts jumping through, and Thomas helps Teresa before Newt helps me. We run down several corridors until we get to a secured door before the final exit door. As we slow down so Thomas can unlock the door with the pass card he stole, I hear my dad behind us.

"Katya, stop! There isn't any hope for any of you out there. You will die the moment you go through those doors, and you know it." I ignore him and watch Thomas fumble with the card. He tries scanning it, but it doesn't work. He gives the pass card to Minho and starts walking towards my father.

"Thomas," I say cautiously.

"It's fine. I won't let him get you." He looks at me and nods as if he might be done accusing me of being part of WCKD. "But later, you're explaining how you being with us would benefit our chances out there," he whispers, smirking.

He talks to Janson while Minho continues to scan the pass card. "Damn it! It isn't working. Katya, do you have a key card?" I nod and fish my pass card out of my pocket. I pass it to Minho before turning my attention back to Thomas.

"The Maze is one thing, but you kids wouldn't last one day out in the Scorch. If the elements don't kill you, the Cranks will. Thomas, you have to believe me. I only want what's best for you." Before Thomas can reply, I cut in.

"That is utter bullshit. You couldn't care less about them. You never have, and you never will."

My dad looks at me emotionally. "Katya, please. Come here. I'm sorry, I never meant to hurt you."  I step closer to the group, bumping into Newt, who ushers me behind him protectively. "Now, that's interesting. Even with your memories erased, you will still do anything for her. But how far will you go to save her?" Within seconds everything went in slow motion. One of the guards shoots Newt with a launcher, causing him to tremble and fall to the ground, convulsing on the floor. Straight after, the same guard shoots me. Everything goes dark. I can feel myself fall, the electricity shooting all over my body.

WCKD Love | A Newt Fan-Fictionजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें